Cab mount repair

Moderator: FORDification

ajsmolik

Cab mount repair

Post by ajsmolik »

I just got a pair of the bolt-on cab-mount repair brackets from JCWhitney. They look pretty flimsy.

Anybody else used or seen these used? Seems easy enough just to raise the cab, slip in the bracket and bolt 'em on... or should I just start planning the big project to remove the cab and cut-n-weld?
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: Cab mount repair

Post by FORDification »

I haven't seen the bolt-on mounts before. Any way you could post a pic? Do they appear to be large enough to just slip over the existing mounts?
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

If they just slip in and bolt on they might save a bunch of work. The only time I ever did cab mounts it ended up snowballing into the biggest project I ever had. The rest of the truck looked solid but the floors were too thin to weld to so I put in floor pans. Then the metal was so thin on the kick panels I ended up halfway to the dash to find decent metal. Finally I ended up with the front clip off and the engine out to take care of the front cab seam and while the tired engine was out I might as well get it rebuilt. Well the core support and inner fenders were showing a little rust and the front fenders were pitted and almost rusted through so I got new inner and outer fenders and core support. Well at this point in for a penny, in for a pound so I got a new grill shell, inserts, headlight rims and front bumper. And of course I can put a bunch of old tired junk back in with my rebuilt engine so I need a new clutch, starter , water pump, radiator.
It ended up costing over 5 grand and I did all the work except the engine build, and all just because I couldn't keep lower steering column bearings in it.
The sad part was, within 3 years the rest of the truck had huge gaping rust holes. I knew the door bottoms were thin but I couldn't find any better ones in Alaska and just couldn't go the $470 each that Ford wanted. And even though I sandblasted the bed side seam, acid etched it and used urethane primer, the rust there was bubbling through the paint within a year.
I learned the hard way that if you even see one tiny pinhole or bubble under the paint somewhere that the metal behind it is already gone.
Sorry for the rant, I just have to tell that story once in a while and hope it might save someone else the waste of time I went through. I could have taken the 5 grand, flew down to Oregon or Washington, bought a nice low mileage truck and got back with money in my pocket and saved myself 500 hours of my time.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

Yes, but aren't you proud of yourself for doing such a good job? :clap:
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

Well I did learn alot, like never to do that again. :lol: :lol: The funny part is I now have a crewcab with bad floors that will need attention someday. But I will just live with the pop rivited road signs until I start getting road spray on my feet.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
oldschoolrods
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: re: Cab mount repair

Post by oldschoolrods »

willowbilly3 wrote:Well I did learn alot, like never to do that again. :lol: :lol: The funny part is I now have a crewcab with bad floors that will need attention someday. But I will just live with the pop rivited road signs until I start getting road spray on my feet.
hey dont feel bad my passanger side floor has some HVAC sheetmetal on it... :shh:
shrektruck

Post by shrektruck »

Hey,
I've seen bondo over expanding foam used in the floor. Don't tap your boots too hard with that ol Hank song...
Speaking of cab mounts. If I buy two body lift kits will I have enough to do my crewcab? No body makes a lift kit specifically for the crewcab (72)
Thanks all
truckjunky87

Post by truckjunky87 »

I picked up a '69 F250 4x4 recently but both front cab mounts are gone due to rust. Are these bolt on repair panels the only option if I don't want to remove the cab? If so where do I find them?
-Braden Day
1969 Ford F-250 4x4 Highboy
1987 Chevy 4x4 1/2 ton