Speakers

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Speakers

Post by Heavenlyfire »

I need help from some of you sound system buffs. Does it hurt to have the magnet on the back of the speaker in contact with the body? I have an idea of puting mine in the head liner but don't know how close they will be to the roof. Also, if they can't hit the metal, what if I put some kind of insulation between them?
trukcrazy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

re: Speakers

Post by trukcrazy »

Hey John, I just ordered one of these to try in my truck. It's not as expensive as the full headliner and it holds six speakers. If it works, I am going to order another one and have 12 speakers in my crew.
John, #424
1967 F250 crewcab x 2.
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Quadcab
2008 Challenger SRT8
trukcrazy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by trukcrazy »

No comments on this? I know JCW rates right at the top of the list with Ronco for products.
John, #424
1967 F250 crewcab x 2.
2008 Challenger SRT8
69F110
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 69F110 »

You know that's right. I actually had planned on builing a box for my 69...the one I no longer have.
"SIGH"

Anyways, my plan was for installing bucket seats and building a box for the middle. The box would have a 6x9 speaker on each side angled up towards each seat...the box would also serve as armrest/storage/cupholder/whatever.

Unfortunately, it never came to fruition as I gave the truck away before coming to Germany.
Steve Davis
Pastor and U.S. Army Retired

1969 F100 Ranger LWB, 390 and 3 on the tree
heatmiser

Post by heatmiser »

Heavenlyfire-
I can't say for sure if it would hurt anything or not!
However, I can say that when I was young, I was given a set of really thick Jensen's with very large magnets. I got excited and ran the wires and cut the holes in the headliner before thinking. The headliner sagged with the weight of the speakers when not in contact with the roof, so I removed the rubber spacer that I had installed, and "stuck" them to the roof.
It really didn't have any ill effects on the sound, that i noticed and it really helped the sagging problem. I ran it that way for a few years.
Probably, beacause they were free and I was cash poor at the time!
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i used to drive a semi and was slip seated a few time and drove other peolpes trucks. they had mounted a extra speakers at the top corner of the cab right behind thier head. i found it especially annoing when one of them had the echo box and you could here yourself talk on the cb. but you could here good over all the other noises the truck made
Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heavenlyfire »

Hey truckcrazy, if that works out fairly well let me know. That is something I have been looking for. As for the headliner, mine is trashed and needs to be replaced anyway. Even the cardboard is bad.
heatmiser

Post by heatmiser »

Heavenlyfire-
Have you thought about one of these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/67-68-69 ... enameZWD1V

It will take care of headliner replacement and the speaker situation.
It is a bit pricey, but it is in your part of the country and you could save on any shipping costs. That is if the seller allows local pickup.
I have been considering buying one for a while now!
Ray
71 F100 360/C6
Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heavenlyfire »

wow, that is a bit high. Or atleast higher than what the better half would let me spend lol. It does look nice though.
trukcrazy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by trukcrazy »

Those are a good idea, but the moisture retention of these headliners was discussed in a previous thread. That's why I bought the speaker system shown in this thread. I will be home the 26th of Sept. and hopefully it will be there by that time and I can try it out and let you know how it works.
John, #424
1967 F250 crewcab x 2.
2008 Challenger SRT8
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

I believe I'm going to splurge and get one of these Highliner units.

I got to thinking about the moisture-retention issue, and have come to the conclusion that the moisture is getting into the roof area via the hollow windshield posts, which are connected indirectly to the front cowl vents. If you were to install this Highligher, run all the necessary wiring down the window pillars and then SEAL the posts to prevent moist outside air from entering, I believe that would virtually eliminate the problem....that, and a few strategically-placed vent holes to allow that area to breathe.

I guess we'll find out, anyway. ;)
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

If you install one of those, Keith, take pics so we can see what you did, OK?
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

You can count on it. :D
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

Been thinking about the moisture problem also. In the stock condition, the moisture must be drawn into the headliner, then works its way into the cab. To much moisture left leads to roof cancer. The AM headliner probably stops the moisture migration. Therefore, why not install a 12 vdc fan to draw air through btwn roof and headliner. Mount the fan either in back of the seat where inner sheet metal terminates (might need a duct or 2 to pickup air from the space) or the fan right into the headliner. If properly setup, the fan might help with heat from radio too.
wt4speed#2
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by wt4speed#2 »

Guys ,
You wouldn't believe what a natural boom tube we have built right into our cabs. When I did my '72 15 years ago , one of the 1st things I did was install a post type am/fm cassette Craig power play tuner these are notorious for producing quality tunes right out of the box. along with it the sales guy showed me a pair of Sony fully encased , marine / motorcycle spec'd 4"x10" 4-way speakers . He recommended that I install them in the rear bulkhead between the rear corner turn down and the dome light.That puts the sound out above ear level and the cavity in the cabs roof and rear side pillar area brought the "boom" if you will out between the door ans the tank area at about shoulder level . I know now all the feelings about cutting the interior sheet metal . But with quality speakers and a good tuner , the modification is well worth it . With the right grill package the can be made to look like a factory option , which we all know ain't so .
The whole time I had my '72 I had a friend that would look for more speaker everytime he got in my truck . I would just shake my head and point over my shoulder , and he would says" one of the days I'm going to figure out how you did it and I'll be rich "

Tony B
Tony B.Image
DFW Area
"Someday...
I hope you to get the chance,
to live like you are dying"
Member#'s 236 & 403
Úlf the Comedy Sidekick
'69 F-100 "Stepper"(currently in a bigillion pieces )
wt's ride
thebucket