back-up light switch

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

burntorangeandwhite

back-up light switch

Post by burntorangeandwhite »

The wiring harness on my 1970 F250 looks like its been messed with at least a couple times. The back-up light turns on and stays on as soon as I turn on the electrics. I traced the wire from both back-lights to under the dash but it looks like it was connected to some other wire I have not been able to trace-on (which does not correspond to the diagram). Anybody know where the the back-up light switch is located on the truck, i.e. where ultimately the wiring should end?

Thanks!
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Re: back-up light switch

Post by FORDification »

Depends on what transmission you've got. If you've got an automatic, then the back-up light switch is built into the neutral safety switch, which is located at the base of the steering column inside the cab.

If you've got a three-speed manual with column shift, it'll be the switch at the very end of the column in the engine bay:

(Sorry for the bad pic, it's the only one I have on hand right now.)

If you've got a 4-speed, then the back-up light switch is mounted on top of the gearshift cover:

____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
burntorangeandwhite

Post by burntorangeandwhite »

Thanks for the response! I have a 3 speed automatic - so I'll check the location you mentioned for that case.
Lar4t9r

Post by Lar4t9r »

If you don't mind, may I hijack this thread?
I have a C4 transmission in my '69 f100 that PO converted from column to a B & M floor shifter. He did not make any provision for backup switch or neutral safety switch. I want to add these but have not found any info on how to do it with this setup. :hmm:
Any advice?
Laurence (Proud owner of 1969 Ford F-100 and 1970 GTO)
ImageImageImage
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

the dentside trucks had athe nss on the transmission. you might be able to find one of those and put it on your transmission.
Lar4t9r

Post by Lar4t9r »

fordman wrote:the dentside trucks had athe nss on the transmission. you might be able to find one of those and put it on your transmission.
Well, I have been searching for this, but all I can find that mount on the transmission are for manual, not automatic. All the automatics I've found mount on the column. Anybody happen to know a sorce for a transmission mounted switch for C4 automatic?
ImageImageImage
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i had a 78 that had that switch on it. the transmission was a smallblock c6. all o fth ecolumns i have taken out of dentsides up to 78 have had the column nss on them. i would check with the vendors abotu a nss for 78 and 79 trucks and broncos. they aslo used that switch on cars. i don't know which cars or what year of cars.
Thunderfoot
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Thunderfoot »

For a C4 look for one for a Mustang! My 68 stang has the switch on the transmission. :thup: here is a link to Mustangs Unlimited showing the Neutral Safety Switches... http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/keywor ... &x=13&y=13 these will have the 4 wires on them for the reverse and neutral wires so you can wire it into your trucks wiring with no problem. :)
Shayne
I'm not "Brand Loyal" Ford-Chevy-Dodge-Toyota I have them all, one even cross mixed...
If it Looks good and Works good then it's ok by me. Everything has its issues from time to time...

69 SWB (project) & 69 Highboy (driver/project)
http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa29 ... d%20truck/
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10399
Lar4t9r

Post by Lar4t9r »

Thanks, guys...That should work.
ImageImageImage
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

or for just a reverse light you coul dmake a bracket that is close enought to where the lever kicks in a switch when you put it in reverse.
Lar4t9r

Post by Lar4t9r »

fordman wrote:or for just a reverse light you coul dmake a bracket that is close enought to where the lever kicks in a switch when you put it in reverse.
I am concerned about the safety of not having the NSS...so want to have both backup light switch and NSS.
ImageImageImage