Radiator support holes

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Radiator support holes

Post by flyboy2610 »

The holes where the radiator support bushings sit in the top of the frame rails have rusted pretty badly. The right side is much worse than the left. In fact it has rusted nearly through to the inner edge of the frame rail. The little bit of metal that is left there is actually cracked through.
I don't really like the idea of welding on the frame, as I don't want to destroy the temper of the steel. But how else would I fix this?
Any ideas?
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: Radiator support holes

Post by FORDification »

Just use a couple pieces of steel as large washers, with a center hole the same size as your bolt. However, I'd still want to weld them onto the frame, though it wouldn't be absolutely necessary. Welding them down will keep the front end in place though, so it won't shift around.

You're not going to damage the frame or weaken it by welding on it. It's not tempered steel anyway.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I "personally" wouldn't worry about welding a washer to that. The hole being rusted out so bad has already changed the crushability of it.

If you are particulary worried about it only tack it in 6-8 spots, or get a body guy to do it using a heat crayon.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

I wouldn't worry about welding it up. People weld on frames all the time and it really isn't in an area that the structural integrity of the frame would compromise any safety issues anyway.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.