Trailers

General Discussion Topic Archives
spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Trailers

Post by spartman »

I was wondering what people use for trailers behind their trucks?

I like the one that Kieth used to get his F-250 home with.

I have a frame from a 79 Chevy and was thinking about converting it into a trailer and was wondering if anybody has done this.

I know people who have just used the box part and made a hitch with the frame, but I was thinking about using the whole frame and building the floor on the frame.

What do you guys think?
binder56jd
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

re: Trailers

Post by binder56jd »

onliest time i seen it done was for the farm- You can do a whole lot better starting from scratch if you have any welding skills JD
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here" — Jack Nicholson, As Good As it Gets

now serving #235

"the only way to believe in the American dream is to be asleep"--GC

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct. - Benjamin Disraeli
spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by spartman »

My welding skills aren't the greatest.

I was thinking since I had the frame already I could "recycle it"

I would probably use different axles than what are on it currently.
71Ford100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 71Ford100 »

We have a 24ft titan gooseneck flatbed with a winch. It handles 12,000 lbs legally :twisted: .
Lance Peters
'72 250 4x4 project,''71 F-100 daily driver,69 F-250 4x4 Crew, '68 F-100, '68 F-250 crew under restoration, '52 Dodge 1/2 ton overload, gazillion tractors and combines
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

Kieth is right on this one. dont try and use the whole frame to make a trailer. it is a lot easier to build a car hauler from scratch. I can send you some easy plans if you like.
funny thing is, I am in the process of building a trailer out of one of my ford parts trucks right now. the P/U box trailer os good for garbage runs and stuff, but that is about it.

I bought my 16' car trailer (like Keith's borrowed one) from a place in Victorville, CA for $850.00 cash out the door. I have pulled about 250 cars home and to the scrap yard with it over 5 years, and I LOVE it!! well worth the price. sometimes it is more worth it in the long run to just save up and buy the right thing the first time, instead of cobbling something together.
In life many men take the path of righteousness, some take the path many others follow (G.M. owners, for example), some take a more arduous path, some a simpler path. I, sir, took the PSYCO-PATH!!
my367s

Post by my367s »

Some travel trailer frames are not heavy enough,and you would have to add more braces for sure.As much as it is good to recycle,sometimes it is just better to start from scratch or just wait for a good deal and buy one.Jerry
Gerald Cook
1967 mercury ranger 1/2 ton-work in progress
1967 mercury 1/2 ton
1967 ford 1/2 ton-daily driver
1964 ford 1/2 ton 4x4-next project
2001 ford f150 4x4
Comet
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Comet »

If you are going to go to the trouble of modifying a travel trailer, you may as well start from scratch and do it right. There are places that sell plans on line for a nice tilt bed trailer for around $30. They claim you can build a trailer from their plans for about $1300. Ofcourse that was a couple years ago and steel has gone way up since then. I think the place was called Tuf industries or something. Try Google searching and it will probably come up.
greenbank

Post by greenbank »

I know (think I know?) Northern Tools has a whole section of their catalog for trailer parts. In fact, I think you can piece together your own. Let's see...

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... =200308239 is a plan set for a car hauler. $30.
1968 F250 Ranger Camper Special
-- 360, AT, PS, PB, disks
-- See Goldie