Question about removing a cab.

Moderator: FORDification

Ford390pwr

Question about removing a cab.

Post by Ford390pwr »

Well, I just stumbled upon this site today, and I am in heaven! I have been clicking here and clicking there and have looked at just about every picture of every project I could find! This site is awesome!!!

Now for my question. It looks fairly simple to remove the cb from the frame as long as you remove all of the attached pieces, like the brake cable! My question is this, how heavy is that cab? Is it a 2 man removal or is it more like a 4-6 man job?

I am currently working on a 70 regular cab and have been removing things slowly but surely! I now have the front clip off, and the drivetrain removed. In the end, my goal is to get a CrewCab and get it all fixed up. Any tips?
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: Question about removing a cab.

Post by FORDification »

Welcome to the forums, Bill. :hi: Glad to have you aboard.

It's definitely a 4-man job to remove the cab...one on each corner. Two very strong guys MIGHT be able to lift it, but I'd have serious doubts on whether or not they'd be able to maneuver it around once it's in the air. Just get a few of your buddies over for a few minutes

Of course, depending on how you work it, you could even do it by yourself, but it's gonna take a little longer. I'm also in the middle of a body-off rest-ification on a '67 Olds 442, and I lifted the body off the frame by myself in the shop using two long iron pipes, a hydraulic floor jack and a lot of wood blocks:

Where I used wood 4x4s on the corners, you could use 55-gallon drums, or something similar. However, with a pickup cab being smaller and more top-heavy than a car body, you might run the risk of tipping it over using my method.

Another one-man method would be to use an engine hoist (cherry-picker). The boom would be inside the cab and you'd lift from the cab floor with a sling you'd have to devise.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
Ford390pwr

Post by Ford390pwr »

I was thinking about using the cherry picker, I just wanted to make sure the cab was not so heavy that it might get the hoist tipped. I liked the way you lifted the cab from that old doaner with your frinds crane an a 2x6, and if I had a crane that would be the way I would go.

Well thank you for hosting this awesome site, and i have added it to my daily Ford truck site list! I will also have to find a way to add a link to my current sites so everyone can gain from your knowledge!
my367s

Post by my367s »

My buddy used a cherrypicker,he took the doors off then stuck a 2x10 across from door frame to door frame,centered the picker tip on the 2x10 and jacked it up.It worked very slick and was not tippy either.
Gerald Cook
1967 mercury ranger 1/2 ton-work in progress
1967 mercury 1/2 ton
1967 ford 1/2 ton-daily driver
1964 ford 1/2 ton 4x4-next project
2001 ford f150 4x4