Tubs

Moderator: FORDification

BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Tubs

Post by BobbyFord »

Here's a couple teaser pics of my tub widening. Even though I've been on hiatus from the website, I've still been messing with my truck.
After the lowering project, I tried to get the blue steelie drag radials on the truck and needed to widen the tubs. The donor tubs did not have a clean inside surface side so I chose to use a section out of them. Just going with a 3-1/2" wider tub, but wanted to keep the stock look:

mlheppl
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Tubs

Post by mlheppl »

Looks good. I always enjoy reading your welding/bodywork project threads.
Mike
71 F250 4X4
99 F250SD 4X4 7.3L PSD
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

how did you handle the floor braces underneath? did you just cut them off or make the ends flanged? as they were originally. even though they are barley held to the wheel wells in the first place.
hazelnut
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by hazelnut »

Nice work, Looks a lot better than aftermarket tubs would. Also like the color match to the cab from the donors :evil: j/k
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

mlheppl wrote:Looks good. I always enjoy reading your welding/bodywork project threads.
Thanks Mike.
fordman wrote:how did you handle the floor braces underneath? did you just cut them off or make the ends flanged? as they were originally. even though they are barley held to the wheel wells in the first place.
I spotwelded a section of angle iron to the bottom of the bed along inside edge of the wheel well and then spotwelded the wheel well to the angle iron and then used more angle iron to connect the existing bed braces to long section of iron. It's stronger than stock. I would have taken pictures of that area but the last time I had the bed off I popped my back out while standing the bed on end and had to take a week off :x The welds in that area arent pretty because I was having issues with the wind and getting the welder adjusted for the varying thickness of the bed and the angle iron. I'll take some more pics when I weld in the left tub.
hazelnut wrote:...Also like the color match to the cab from the donors :evil: j/k
I hadn't even noticed that :D
forrestbump
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by forrestbump »

Like all things you do, PERFECTION comes to my mind when I see your work. Great job as always Bobby!

I have to add, it's Good having you back...
1970, 2WD, F-250, C/S, Dual Tanks, 390 FE (of course), C6, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Dana 60 3.73, Sky View Blue, Ranger XLT

1970, 2WD, F-250, C/S, A/C, Dual Tanks, 390 FE (again, of course), C6, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Dana 60 3.73, Wimbledon White & Sky View Blue, Ranger (almost twin brothers!)

"One of the greatest discoveries a man makes, one of his great surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do" - Henry Ford

Larry
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

forrestbump wrote:Like all things you do, PERFECTION comes to my mind when I see your work. Great job as always Bobby!

I have to add, it's Good having you back...
Thanks, Larry :D
BiggDogg
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by BiggDogg »

Wow, looks really good. Can't wait to see more :D
1970 F250 Camper Special
"Its no coincidence that man's best friend can't talk."
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Always like checking out your "project" threads, Bobby. When I'm going to attempt something I always try "BobbyFord" as the author in my searches. Glad to have ya back!
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

2nd the good seeing you again man! :thup:
Here I was telling everybody I bet you got a ticket for driving down the strip with no hood! :lol:
Looking good.
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Toasted my back 2 weeks ago standing the bed on end by myself (note to self: You're not 20 anymore) so I'm healed and back at it :D
I line the inside tub edge with a trimmed piece of angle iron. This will tie the tub to the two bed cross supports:

Half of the front-most bed support welded to the angle iron, there will be a similar piece of angle iron below this one:

This is the larger rear bed support tied into the inside edge:

I had to pie cut this side because of the taper of the donor tub material:

I just sprayed the bare metal with rattle can black to inhibit rust. This entire bed will get blasted, primed, underside coated and outside painted. Here's the inside of the wheel well after pie cutting and welding:

I have more welding and grinding tomorrow. These tubs will get a skincoat of bondo before final painting:

I'll get a pic with the 13.5" drag radials tomorrow.
70shortbox

Post by 70shortbox »

nice work
1970 F100 Custom Shortbed Styleside
460/C6
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

My old tubs :D

They look much better there than they did in my side yard for sure! Nice work
-Ryan
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

I still have more welding and grinding to do on the tubs but I had to see how it drove with these sticky tires. The acceleration is awesome. Before, I would just spin the skinny, little T/A Radials, these MT ET's just grab and go. I like the stance, 5 3/4" drop in the rear, 3" Dream Beam drop in the front, slight stagger from the tire size difference. Still gotta paint the front rims and mount them.

These tires looked fatter sitting in my spare bedroom
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

:woohoo:
Can't wait to see what it'll do in the 1/4! :wink:
Looking real good Bobby. :thup:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4