PaPa's 69 F100 Explorer Coyote 10R80 swap

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: PaPa's 69 F100 Explorer

Post by Venomous duck »

I was unable to find the original bracket that holds the combination valve below the master cylinder. I had to make one out of scrap pieces. I bought this valve from NPD which is different from the OEM one. Had I used the original then the lines I purchased from Fine Lines probably would have fit better, but I was afraid the stainless lines would not seal properly. This is one of the problems with using stainless steel lines, they don't like to seal against flares that have an impression from prior use.
Combo valve bracket.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Venomous duck »

This is how the Fine Lines dent side kit fit. I did have to make some minor adjustments, mostly due to the combo valve, but overall fit really well.
LF Line.JPG
front lines center.JPG
RF Line.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Venomous duck »

On the rear I had to adjust the lines alot. It may be because they got bent by being put in the box. I was able to get them to fit just OK. This just about completes the chassis. Just a couple of minor things to do and then on to the powertrain.
Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Venomous duck »

I am now taking care of minor details. The gear box I am using came from my 75 F150. 25 years ago it developed a leak from the pressure hose at the gearbox. I replaced the hose but is still leaked. I was able to stop it by over tightening the connection at the gear box. I recently remembered this and thought I should look into this. I discovered that the flare seat was damaged. I ordered new seats from Lee power steering. They sell all kinds of PS stuff. They are very helpful and answered my email questions very quickly. Anyway the seat kit (PN SK-FORD) comes with seats for the pressure and return as well as an install tool. Removal is something I though would be difficult. I used my slide hammer with the screw attachment. It popped out very easily. The larger one I just screwed a larger screw in it, wiggled and pulled it out by hand. The new ones were knocked in with the tool provided.
DSC_6728.JPG
DSC_6726.JPG
Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Venomous duck »

I don't like the white shocks. I removed and stripped the paint. The I applied 2 coats of VHT Primer and 3 Coats of VHT Gloss Black. From what I can determine the original shocks were black. But I could be wrong. They were not white.
DSC_6722.JPG
DSC_6724.JPG
DSC_6725.JPG
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

:thup:
Nice setup!
Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Venomous duck »

Thanks. I am working on powertrain right now.
hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

Looking great, really like your Brake Bracket too!
Paul
:fr: FE390PC
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
Gone 1997, 1999 & 2003 F150 4x4s
Gone 1988, 1989 & 1991 Broncs
Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Venomous duck »

Thanks, I worked on it for 2 days. I guess that's why it's taking me almost 5 freakin' years to get to this point. Good thing I don't do this for a living!!
Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Venomous duck »

Quick update. I didn't get a lot done this weekend. I only had Sunday off. I am struggling trying to find stuff to do anyway while waiting for the powertrain. I needed a way to steer the chassis when I need to move it around. I have seen people mount the steering column and build a support to hold it in place. This puts the steering wheel really high, though it works fine. I thought about it and came up with a very simple solution using an old steering wheel and shaft coupler.
DSC_6731.JPG
DSC_6732.JPG
DSC_6733.JPG
Last edited by Venomous duck on Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Venomous duck »

DSC_6734.JPG
DSC_6736.JPG
DSC_6738.JPG
Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Venomous duck »

DSC_6741.JPG
Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Venomous duck »

For quite some time I have been going round and round trying to make a final decision on the power train. I have lots of choices. The least expensive would be rebuilding the original 302. The engine has been reliable and run like a sewing machine since new, even with the breaker type ignition. It has never failed to start as long as the battery would crank it. The only issue it has ever had was a cracked exhaust manifold. Second would be the 390 from my 75 F150. I have everything for a swap except the correct steering column. Option 3. I discovered that I have a stock bore 428 in my storage shed. I could rebuild this and with the parts from the F150 I would have what I need. In then end I decided to use the 428 and build a stroker motor, put on the Pro-flo 4 fuel injection set up and be good to go. For a transmission I did not want to use the C6, instead I would either use a 6R80 with an adapter or 4R70W built for an FE. I had just started looking for a transmission when Covid struck. Suddenly parts are on back order (heads in particular) or unknown availability. Next I would have to find and trust a machine shop. This became even more difficult when I found out Keith Craft Racing Engines went out of business and locked up all the customers parts. I decided to reassess the whole thing. I briefly (very briefly) considered an LS swap. I manage a GM parts dept so that made it more attractive. But I have to live with myself so that's a no go. After a lot of discussions with my wife we decided to go with a 302....Coyote 302 and 10R80 transmission. The big advantage to this is a very modern powertrain, drivability and good horsepower. I can order it and have it in just a few days. No waiting on backorders, no machine shop jail, etc. The disadvantages are high cost, lots of custom parts and it's not an FE. I also hate the way they sound. Did I mention it is expensive!! Good news is the project has taken so long I can actually make this work. Anyway with a decision made I called Summit Racing and ordered a Ford Performance Gen 3 Coyote and 10R80 Combo package.
Last edited by Venomous duck on Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Venomous duck »

I started uncrating the engine and discovered a problem.
Last edited by Venomous duck on Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Venomous duck »

Well crap. So I looked at the box and it has PN M-9000-PMCA3A. This is the correct number for the Gen 3 with 10 speed 10R80 transmission. On the same panel it has PN M-6007-M50C. This is the correct part number for a Manual Transmission version of the engine. The automatic trans version of the engine is M-6007-M50CAUTO. This is what Ford lists as coming in the M-9000-PMCA3A.
Last edited by Venomous duck on Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.