1967/8 F100 360 to 300 engine swap question and progress

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

lucky_strik

1967/8 F100 360 to 300 engine swap question and progress

Post by lucky_strik »

Hey everyone. Someone I knew was selling a low mileage 300 and HFF (3.03) tranny for $400 and I bought it knowing it had been rebuilt and bored .60 over. Its new home is my 1968 F100, formerly a 360 (took a ****) with a T-18 3 on the floor with granny. So far I have the 360 out and I'm beginning to wrestle with moving the perches/towers forward to their i6 location.

I found out that the tranny mount bolts for the t18 were off, and the movement of the trans complicated the swap. For some reason, my t18 is puking gear oil from the top. My plan right now is to unbolt the back piece with the U joint, and unbolt the 300 bellhousing and pull the tranny up through the inspection housing in the cab. I also need to find a spindle/pivot (?) for the clutch release arm that bolts onto the engine or bellhousing.

For install, I plan to drop in the engine with bellhousing attached to it, then slide the tranny in from underneath the truck and then reattach the U joint plate which is still connected to the driveshaft.

If anyone has done this swap, please throw in your two cents, and when I'm done, Ill post a full picture and instructional post on how to do it.