Firing Order- Distributor #1 position to Plug

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
BLOCKHEAD

Firing Order- Distributor #1 position to Plug

Post by BLOCKHEAD »

I have a 1972 F100 360. I have been trying to get this truck started in my spare time, it seems forever. I replaced the starter solenoid, starter motor, alternator, regulator, coil, distributor cap, use Petronix ignition to replace the points and checked the wiring for cracks and used a meter. The engine just turns over but does not start. I checked under the distributor for firing marks, they are there. I used a spark tester to see if the plugs are receiving charge, there is no fire going to the plugs. I am thinking that the wires are not located right on the distributor or I need to replace the distributor. I know the firing order is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8.

If the wires are not correctly located on the distributor, does anyone have a diagram or illustrated pic the could email me so I can get this baby started? Can anybody out there help me :?
'72 F-100 360
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: Firing Order- Distributor #1 position to Plug

Post by FORDification »

To check to make sure you've got the wires set up right, make sure it's TDC on the compression stroke (not the exhaust stroke). Once you have the timing mark lined up, just drop the distributor down to where it fully seats and roughly pointing to Number 1. Now lift the distributor cap and see which tower the rotor is pointing to....that is your number one. Attach the wire from that tower to the number 1 spark plug, then continue in a counter-clockwise position and install the remainder of them in the correct firing order. It should fire right up, and then you can adjust the timing for peak performance.

However, even if the order of the wires is messed up, there should still be spark at the plugs...the engine just won't run because the spark is happening at the wrong time of the engine cycle. Pull the distributor cap and have a friend crank the engine over while you look to make sure the rotor is turning. You might have a broken distributor.

If that checks out, you might want to double-check your Pertronix connections to make sure you've hooked it up correctly. I don't have any experience with these yet, but there are several other forum members who have and will probably chime in here.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
BLOCKHEAD

Post by BLOCKHEAD »

Keith, Thanks, I will follow through on your instructions and get back to you.

Mac
'72 F-100 360
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

I'm betting it's got something to do with the Petronix because you should have fire, as Keith said. Matter of fact, if the firing order is really screwed up you can have fire in the traditional sense. Here's a page from my manual. I posted this a couple of weeks ago but I can't remember for whom.
jor
boots
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by boots »

my truck kindof had something like that happen, one day it wouldnt start so I was sitting there wondering why.. I replaced the starter, the solenoid and the distributor just to get everything good and new. my solenoid in the first place was completley useless, since it was so old, and it turned out my ground wire was not getting a good connection so it was not even turning over. I also got the firing order and relocated all the wires correctly. look under the cap of the distributor and see if it is spinning counter clockwise or clockwise.
Ethan

67 f100 - 4"lift - cut fenders - 36 TSL's
390/3spd/9"

68 f250 - 390/np435
Raised d24
'79 dana 60 front
welded 60 rear
buildup in progress
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 835#136835

69 f100- Parts truck
BLOCKHEAD

Post by BLOCKHEAD »

Jor, Thanks. I will check the Petronix and refer to you manual page to check plug wire placement. I will let you know if I get the Ford started.
'72 F-100 360
BLOCKHEAD

Post by BLOCKHEAD »

boots, Thanks for the info. I will check the ground wire and get back to you.
'72 F-100 360