clutches, clutches, anyone for clutches

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

junkman johnnie

clutches, clutches, anyone for clutches

Post by junkman johnnie »

:? :? I am now trying to figure out which clutch to use...I have a 85' 5.0, 83' NP435 4 speed with NP208 T-case, 77' frame, and 70' body. I found a 72 F250 with my clutch linkages. Everything bolts up but the bell housing arm. No daaa...It had a 360. So I found my arm that I needed. Pedals fit right in. Now for the clutch. What should I use???? 10 in.????11 in???? What clutches will fit what??? I heard that a 460 clutch pack would fit....I also heard that a 390 clutch will fit, from certin years.... Some help!!!!! :hmm:
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

what flywheel do you have? my way of thinking says use a clutch that fits your flywheel. (like whatever size it was running before, a 10" maybe(??))
In life many men take the path of righteousness, some take the path many others follow (G.M. owners, for example), some take a more arduous path, some a simpler path. I, sir, took the PSYCO-PATH!!
junkman johnnie

It did not have a clutch... It was an automatic with a C6. I just can't find the truck I wanted so I am making it.
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

well that makes a differnece then. :lol:
I'd still say a 10" clutch, or whatever flywheel you can find.
I don't know if a 302 would out-power a 10" clutch, so an 11" might be overkill.

and you and I think alike- I am building the truck I want piece by piece, also.
In life many men take the path of righteousness, some take the path many others follow (G.M. owners, for example), some take a more arduous path, some a simpler path. I, sir, took the PSYCO-PATH!!
junkman johnnie

well I happen to have a 429 sitting on the back porch. soonner or later I will build that and put it in there. but I don't know if the same clutch would fit it or not.
kid

re: clutches, clutches, anyone for clutches

Post by kid »

Do Not even try and use the 302 clutch on the 429. Bolt pattern for the pressure plate would be all wacky. The 360 used an 11" and the 390, 406, 410, 428 and 427 in no matter what vehicle used an 11 1/2" clutch. The low power 302s used 10" and the Boss used 10"1/2, bigger was not possible due to bell housing size. If you toss the bell housing for a scatter shield then the 302 could use an oversized flywheel for a 11" clutch. The flywheel for a 302 will never fit any FE or 429/460 crank.