throughout bearing

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

boots
Preferred User
Preferred User

throughout bearing

Post by boots »

Ive been told my throughout bearing is going bad, or that my actual fork is wearing down, causing the bearing to clunk a little when the pedal is not pushed down. I thought maybe I could grease it, but looked down there and could not find a grease fitting. All the new clutch parts only have about 50 miles on them, so Im wondering if the clutch I bought ( http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... &langId=-1 ) is just not the best quality.

Also my flywheel has a coating of some kindof dust on it, I think its from the clutch disc. In the picture you can just barley see where I scratched a little bit off.

And if anyone wants to see this, here is a pic of my throughout bearing. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/ ... lutch2.jpg
Ethan

67 f100 - 4"lift - cut fenders - 36 TSL's
390/3spd/9"

68 f250 - 390/np435
Raised d24
'79 dana 60 front
welded 60 rear
buildup in progress
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 835#136835

69 f100- Parts truck
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

re: throughout bearing

Post by jor »

I wouldn't expect you to have a problem with those parts. At any rate, there shouldn't be any clunking. It's hard to tell from the photo but it looks like the throwout bearing is installed correctly as long as the other clip is also engaging the lever as it should.

If you aligned your disc and torqued your pressure plate down properly 'm thinking the problem is in the linkage somewhere rather than in your clutch or throwout bearing. Here's a photo of a bell housing with the lever installed. It's held on with a cheesy little spring. Maybe it broke or slipped off. That would change the alignment of the arm and cause problems. There are a couple heim joints that could be binding up as well. Anyhow, I would eliminate all of the linkage before getting back into that clutch.

* Did you get your flywheel resurfaced (and balanced)?
* Is the clutch free play adjusted properly? You should be able to move your clutch pedal a couple of inches freely.

jor
boots
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by boots »

I got my flywheel resurfaced, but not balanced. The mechanic that did it said it looked fine, and that I didn't even need to have it resurfaced in the 1st place. The linkage looks to be working fine, I am 99% sure that the clunking is coming from the throughout bearing itself, I can feel it in the pedal before I press it all the way down. I have adjusted my pedal a few times. The clunking sound gets louder, and you can feel it more, when the linkage is extended.
Ethan

67 f100 - 4"lift - cut fenders - 36 TSL's
390/3spd/9"

68 f250 - 390/np435
Raised d24
'79 dana 60 front
welded 60 rear
buildup in progress
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 835#136835

69 f100- Parts truck
Leadfoot
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Leadfoot »

I have seen this before what it normally is it the bearing retainer has a grove worn in it (the part the thr. bearing rides on)it cases the bearing to stick or make a clunky noise when it slops around :cry: to fix the problem you replace it or sleave it. along with a new thr.bearing.
sadly theres only one way to check and thats pulling the trans :cry:

also if the clutch pedal is vibrating like mad ya mite ah broke a clutch plate spring :cry:
WHAT ?
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Jake11 »

Was it doing this before you put the new clutch in? Is the T/O bearing
new? It sounds like a bad T/O bearing.