Tune up help needed(pics posted) Update

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Tune up help needed

Post by rjewkes »

sounds like the the transmission spark control deal attached to some wires that end up in the doors and a speed sensor.

either way some just bypass this.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i don't think he has that on his truck. those came out in 72 i think. i've never seen one of those in door things on a 70.
peanutman
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by peanutman »

It's some kind of vacuum control for the dual vac advance dizzy. has three ports, 1- larger that goes to intake and two smaller, one goes to carb and one goes to dizzy. If you blow or suck on ports while compressing spring it controls the three port with different levels of passage. Has somthing to do with controlling the vac timing advance at different rpms.

No power runs to this it's just a variable control valve, i just need to know what it's called and i guess you would use a vac gauge to adjust it or just adjust the spring tension until the engine runs better. :help:
peanutman
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by peanutman »

Here is what this valve looks like.
peanutman
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Tune up help needed(pics posted) Update

Post by peanutman »

Well i found what out this valve is. It is a deacceleration valve, It advances the timing thru the vac system from the intake to reduce emissions when you let off the gas. Talked with an old ford mechanic today and he explained that they used to disconnect them when they went bad, which is apparently what happened to mine at some point and rebuilding the carb increased the vac and brought my bad valve to light.
Just in case if anyone else runs into this problem the mechanic said to plug the back port on the dizzy and run my vac advance to a vac port on my carb and plug the port coming out of the intake, said it should run better than with it.

Napa said this valve is no longer available. now my truck runs great. :woohoo: