My 68 F100 4x4 Project.

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

GT-Racer
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by GT-Racer »

hutch1973 wrote: The '01 Lexus has airbags in the sides of the buckets so I have to make sure I don't accidentally power up that circ.
Now that would be funny, :lol: :lol:
'67 F100 2wd shortbed - Beginning restoration.
351w, 5-speed, 3:70 gears (someday)

Drivin' a Chevy is Kinda Like wipin' before you poop, it just don't make no sense....:)
hutch1973

re: My 68 F100 4x4 Project.

Post by hutch1973 »

Yeah, figured I could power them up on a toggle switch for a bar trick, but since it would only work once why bother... :lol:

I got the truck home and put it straight into storage for the winter. I was happy enough that the inner fenders and such were good that I didn't bother to look much else over. The truck has a ton of crap in the cab that I've yet to sort out. I know I have a 75 and 78 grill set up in the back as well as a couple sets of tires/rims. The kid I bought it from was going to restore it and started to do some work. Mostly collecting parts. The doors and fenders are decent and he has an extra fender for each side in the back. Had a couple sliding rear windows and god knows what else too. I'm waiting until it's warmer out to sort through and determine what can be saved, but I figure there should be enough parts when I'm done to sell and make my money back out of it. I already have someone interested in the frame if I throw in the transfer case already in my truck. He wants to convert his 2wd to a 4wd and the frame is pretty solid.
Bumpless for now...
hutch1973

Post by hutch1973 »

May end up selling the project truck for down payment money for a new F150. Had someone offer $3500 for the works and am seriously thinking it over. I dug the truck out of the garage and have been using it for home depot runs, and jockeying around a couple vehicles in the drive, in the city, is a pain in the ass. Since I have to buy a company vehicle in the next two years, I might be better off selling and getting a new truck now and possibly using it for the biz in two years. I dunno. It's a hell of a lot of fun putzing around with the ol' pickup.
Bumpless for now...
hutch1973

Post by hutch1973 »

Ran out to the farm today to dig through the parts truck and started gameplanning for what to do with it next. Actually dug through the cab and box (full of junk) to see what all was there. Guy has 3 different instrument clusters, couple factory radio's, and most importantly, Conway Twitty 8 tracks...probably won't use those. Really got juices flowing though, can't wait to dig back into the works again.
Bumpless for now...
1968flareside
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 1968flareside »

Keep her going! Glad you reconsidered. I wish I would have put all my time, effort, and money into the 68 sooner. My 99 F150 is getting very expensive.
1968 F-100 Flareside
1999 F-150 XLT 4X4
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10023

:fte: and :fr: DON'T FORGET!!
hutch1973

Post by hutch1973 »

I had one decent offer on it but the guy wanted to take it up to his cabin and use it when he went hunting. He came for the test drive and it took 20 minutes of coaching to figure out how to use a manual choke. (How the hell does a guy in his late 30's not know?) It's in to good of shape to sit and let rot away in the woods somewhere. I just have to figure out a way to talk the old lady into getting in it...women.
Bumpless for now...
hutch1973

Post by hutch1973 »

That part she knows, but she just thinks it's too loud. I've tried explaining to her that it's a lot quieter in the cab, but she's convinced that it's full of mice or something. Part of it's my fault, because I haven't washed or cleaned it up since I bought it, but still.
Bumpless for now...
hutch1973

Post by hutch1973 »

Spent the weekend getting ready to put my FE block into the truck. Spent more hours then I'd like to admit stripping all the grease and gunk off the block to get it ready for POR engine enamel. Discovered the "390" was acutally a 360, and am debating how to proceed with that. Ordered out some new valve covers and ignition from Summit to put onto it when I'm done. Also ordered the ARP engine bolt kit.

I have 351w in the truck sold and will probably be pulling it out in the next couple weeks. I was hoping to get the block painted and ready to put in this weekend, but homeowner issues backed that up. (Sewer pipe backed up.) I'm am going to get the engine painted next weekend, and depending on what I decide on tweaking the 360, shoot to get it in asap.
Bumpless for now...
1968flareside
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 1968flareside »

Lookin' good!!!
1968 F-100 Flareside
1999 F-150 XLT 4X4
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10023

:fte: and :fr: DON'T FORGET!!