Did some welding...and need some opinions on A/C

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Which A/C setup should I install in my '67?

Factory A/C & heater setup
79%
Dealer-installed add-on unit
21%

Total votes: 14

FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Did some welding...and need some opinions on A/C

Post by FORDification »

Well, I got to spend another day at the shop today, and today's agenda was trying to finish up on any cab mods that needed to be done prior to painting. I didn't completely finish up, but did get a lot done.

I posted a project update page at the following URL:

http://www.fordification.com/my67-p49.htm

This update page is actually a catch-up page, showing everything I've done over the month of September. Some of the stuff in the first half of the page you've probably already seen, but the bottom half of the page is what I was up to today, involving welding up the fuel tank filler neck hole and filling a bunch of holes in the cab interior.

I've also reached a point where I honestly cannot make up my mind and need some input from you all with opinions on which way I should go....and it involves air-conditioning.

I was planning on using a small underdash dealer-installed A/C unit. However, I got to thinking today about using the factory A/C & heater setup, since I've got three of these units which could be combined into one good one and give me loads of spare parts. If I go with the factory setup though, I'll have to also get rid of my '67-only heater controls and use the '68-'72 A/C controls. Since I'll be fitting in a '68 radio mounting area into the '67 dash anyway, including the lower portion for the controls wouldn't be hard at all....but I WOULD be giving up a little bit of the uniqueness of a '67.

I guess I'm kinda torn on which way to go. The dealer add-on unit has one missing part I'd have to try to find, which might be difficult. Plus since I'm going to be keeping this truck for a long time (forever!), I'm thinking it might be even MORE difficult trying to track down parts for it in the future. On the other hand, since I've got three factory A/C setups, which would not only give me all the parts I'd need plus a lot of spares, the fact that it's a factory setup means parts would be a little easier to find in the future. However, I'd have to use the '68-up controls. I'm not doing a restoration by any means, this truck is going to have parts from so many different years that it really doesn't matter, but still..... :hmm:

Each option has it's own pros and cons....so help me make a decision here.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
wil-e-ford

re: Did some welding...and need some opinions on A/C

Post by wil-e-ford »

Hi Keith,
After reading what you have posted already it seems to me, that you have already done away with many of the unique features that the 67 has, and i believe that most of them were done on the interior, only a few on the exterior, therefore if it was me doing this, i would be more inclined to install the FACTORY A/C UNIT since you are already changing the radio setup area, this would make the dash look "complete" I am not sure if that is the correct wording, but as it stands now you have a pretty unique truck since most of the interior is 68 year, and the exterior is 67 which if you think about it, makes for a good combination, both style and comfort is combined in the way you have setup everything to your "convience" and comfort, which is basically what we all want when doing a project like this. Keep in mind this is my opinion, and the final decision is up to your needs and wants. I have 3 Fords, all 1971 F100, F250, F350 plus 2 others that i keep around for parts that i may need, since you never know when you need to replace something or want to change something. Like you said parts for the dealer after market set up are not always easy to find. In fact i am looking to buy an a/c setup for my pickups also, and i am in the same dilema sort of, not sure which one to buy, or if i should even mess with it, thats what the wing windows are for, right.

On another note where in Nebraska are you, if you dont mind my asking, I bought a house last year in Naper, its in Boyd county, if i am ever out in your neck of the woods, i will be sure to stop in and say hey.
Ed
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

I'm of the opinion that if I don't have to go on the hunt every time I need some special part- it's a good thing.
So I'd say use the Factory-installed A/C.
Your truck is Original, not Factory Correct. so the loss of the heater controls to the A/C won't matter in the long run, and you gotta be comfortable in the summers!
There is so much unique stuff to your truck that very few people will notice the converted controls, anyways!
Until you point it out anyways!
In life many men take the path of righteousness, some take the path many others follow (G.M. owners, for example), some take a more arduous path, some a simpler path. I, sir, took the PSYCO-PATH!!
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dcbullet »

My opinion is to use the dealer add on unit. I've got a factory unit in my garage myself, but the more I look at pictures of the different models, the factory unit looks so HUGE! I think it takes up too much space on the passenger side and the dealer units look much better. Plus I do think the 67 controls give some uniqueness to your truck.

:2cents:
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

Keith, my vote would be to go with the factory unit. As you said, the parts would be easier to find, both now and in the future. You will lose some glove box space, but since you are not going to install an in cab tank, you have all that space available for storage,
If you go with a factory unit, replace all the internals before you put it in. It would be a world class bummer to get it all buttoned up and then have to pull it to install a non functional component.
Good luck with whatever you choose.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Re: re: Did some welding...and need some opinions on A/C

Post by FORDification »

wil-e-ford wrote:....On another note where in Nebraska are you, if you dont mind my asking, I bought a house last year in Naper, its in Boyd county, if i am ever out in your neck of the woods, i will be sure to stop in and say hey...
I'm in West Point, southeast of Naper about 190 miles. Definitely let me know if you're ever in the neighborhood and we can meet up and talk shop for a few. :D
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

Use the unit for which you can get the most and best replacement parts. Because R12 has been made so expensive, I would suggest using R134a as it is the most common. Check with A/C service folks for the best units for your application. R134a works at different pressures than R12. The original Ford equipment was designed for R12. Therefore the original equipment may not work as well as expected and you may want to use a different, newer compressor that is built for R134a.
dablack00
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dablack00 »

I would go w/ the factory air setup. There are parts for them everywhere. You see them on ebay all the time. If you don't do it now, you will have to do it again later.
69F110
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 69F110 »

I'd say factory set-up as well.
Steve Davis
Pastor and U.S. Army Retired

1969 F100 Ranger LWB, 390 and 3 on the tree
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i hate my factory a/c unit its hugh and in the way no one knows how not to kick the louvers out of it every time they get in. i would rather have the room . but part is another thing. the fan and the a coil maybe some cables amd rods and wires. and it would match the dash you have fordifided.