Starter drive gear replacement

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Starter drive gear replacement

Post by Heavenlyfire »

Today I thought I was going to have to buy a new starter. Went to start my truck and it sounded like everything was falling apart. Got under it and looked to find out the starter bolts had loosened up. And there on the ground was a tooth :cry: . Anyway, I pulled it out and did some pricing and found that the drive can be bought instead of the whole thing. :clap: . I decided to tear it open and find out how easy this would be. I took a bunch of pics along the way in case anyone here needs the info. It was really easy and fast. I had my truck running in about 25 to 30 minutes and for a quarter of the price of a new starter. The first pic is the before, ouch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

re: Starter drive gear replacement

Post by Heavenlyfire »

Next we have the tools and parts that are needed for the job. All you really need is a flathead screwdiver and a 7/16 wrench.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heavenlyfire »

First I started by taking off the side cover with a screwdiver. Then taking out the 2 bolts that run the length of the starter. Next is the pin that is under the cover. (Sorry not really sure of the technical names lol). The pin just slides out and releases the arm.
Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heavenlyfire »

At this point, the front cover will come off to expose the drive gear assymbly. There are 3 flat washers and a retaining washer to remove next. Under that you will see a "C" clamp ring. Remove it and the gear will slide out.
Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heavenlyfire »

Last step is to clean anything up that needs it and put it all back together with the new drive gear. Just follow the steps in reverse and it is done. Here is a pic of the finished product. Hope this helps anybody that needs it. As for me, I don't think I will ever buy a new starter again, too easy to work on and rebuild myself.
spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by spartman »

Heavenlyfire,

I have done this before on a 88 F-150.

The drive gear started to slip so I took a gear out of an older starter I had lying around and swaped them.

Worked like a charm until I T-boned someone who thought they could pull out in front of me with little to no room to go there.
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dcbullet »

That is a great lesson! I never would have considered you can get that gear separately.
69F110
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 69F110 »

nice tutorial.
Steve Davis
Pastor and U.S. Army Retired

1969 F100 Ranger LWB, 390 and 3 on the tree
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

Well done. :clap: :clap:
crazyace99million

Post by crazyace99million »

where did you buy the drive at?and how much did itcost.
Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heavenlyfire »

I actually scored this drive out of a burned out junkyard starter. As they say on TV.......FREEBEE!!!

I did look at checker and autozone and they are only about 10 to 15 dollars for an entire rebuild kit.