Did a little puttering around the shop today

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Did a little puttering around the shop today

Post by FORDification »

Well, I spent some time at the shop today. Most of the day was spent doing some much-needed cleanup. It was getting pretty cluttered and dirty, so I needed to spend some time getting things in order so I had some room to move around. Hauled a lot of parts up to the storage room above the office just to get them off the shop floor. I spent a little time mounting a new bench vice I bought yesterday...a nice large vise to replace the small one I've been using up to now. I also finished stripping down the '67 F250 chassis, because I wanted to save the rear springs and rearend, and the front springs, which were brand new when I got the truck...hadn't even had the weight of an engine put to them yet. Once it was down to the bare frame and front suspension (minus the front springs), I was able to lift the back end of the frame and pull it around to the back of the shop. Then I spent some time removing the springs from the rearend, and then got the rearend off into a corner of the shop.

I then spent some more time installing some of the freshly-painted engine compartment components from last weekend. Got the brake pedal assembly mounted and then got the power booster and new master cylinder bolted up. I also got the horns and battery tray mounted.

I probably should have cleaned up the engine compartment before snapping this picture....you can see a lot of water spots from the last time I rinsed off the truck in the driveway. :oops: Anyway, after taking this picture, I then spent the rest of the afternoon working on the engine compartment wiring. There was a few wires which needed repairs, and then I spent some time installing the black plastic wire loom on the wiring harnesses. I also had to use my Dremel took to grind off a few small areas of the freshed painted surfaces for wiring ground wires, to ensure a good clean contact.

Oh, and since I was getting sick and tired of the lame radio station I was listening to and wanted to see if I could pick up other stations, I took a spare Ford truck radio antenna and attached it to the backside of the shop stereo and mounted it up as high as it would go....and it DID improve reception a little! :lol: :D

Next on the list of things to do are to get started filling up the cab's fuel tank filler hole and to also remove the snaps around the rear window that previous owner used to attach a cab-to-camper boot and fill the holes. (You can see the snaps in the pic above.) Basically I need to finish up whatever bodywork to the cab that is needed, since the cab will need to be painted before I can do any further assembly.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

Looking GOOD!!
In life many men take the path of righteousness, some take the path many others follow (G.M. owners, for example), some take a more arduous path, some a simpler path. I, sir, took the PSYCO-PATH!!
Fordfool

re: Did a little puttering around the shop today

Post by Fordfool »

Looking good! I woosh I had more time to spend in the shop. Very nice!
My Gallery

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe
4x4x4crewcab
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 4x4x4crewcab »

Hey,Hey,Hey he got power brakes today. SWEET :clap: I know I'm gonna kick myself in the rear later for not doing it on mine. Looking good
Mark
1970 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 short box
1969 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia
1999 Ford Windstar
1983 Chevrolet Silverado p/u
1990 Lincoln Town Car
1998 Lincoln Town Car
Does your truck need emblems? Check out http://www.onceuponapart.com
crazyace99million

Post by crazyace99million »

looks good
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by heep70 »

:thup: :rock:
Greg

1971 F250 "Highboy". SOLD to "Highboy_Firefighter_71"
2000 Subaru Outback limited.
2000 F250 4X4 PSD SuperDuty Crew.
2010 Polaris 800RMK Dragon 155"
2013 Polaris Pro 800 RMK 163"
1980 Built Toyota "Trail Rig".
My last 1971 "Highboy" pics
1970F250
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 1970F250 »

:woohoo:
Steve
binder56jd wrote: If you can't dazzle them with diamonds- baffle them with b------t
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

That's really coming along, Keith!
It won't be long till you're driving it!
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

Wow! You did all that work in a day? Very impressive Keith and looking good! What brake booster and pedal setup did you use?

4x4x4, going to power brakes was one of the best conversions I've done to date. Thinking back, don't know why I put up with manual for so long.
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Hey, once you crank up the rock-n-roll and get energized, you just keep working! :D Just trying to get as much done as possible before our new baby arrives, which should be any day now. (Of course, I've been saying that for almost 2 weeks now!)

I'm using the booster from a '74 F100. In fact, this truck donated the entire disc brake front end (except for the springs...had to do some minor lower spring pad mods to use '70 Ranger FE A/C springs), and I'm also using the power-steering box, engine and transmission from the '74. The brake pedal & bracket setup is from the '70 Ranger. I was planning on using the '74 brake pedal, since because it was in an automatic-equipped truck it was wider. However, I found out that while the pedal itself will physically fit the '70 mounting bracket, the brake light switch bracket on the '74 pedal isn't going to work with the '70 bracket without some modification. I DO want to use the wider pedal though, so for the time being I'm going to be installing the narrower '70 brake pedal, until I get some free time to reposition the brake light switch bracket on the '74 pedal.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
69F110
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 69F110 »

That is looking good Keith! Water spots and all. Thanks for the update.
Steve Davis
Pastor and U.S. Army Retired

1969 F100 Ranger LWB, 390 and 3 on the tree
Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: re: Did a little puttering around the shop today

Post by Heavenlyfire »

Fordfool wrote:Looking good! I woosh I had more time to spend in the shop. Very nice!
Wish I had a shop :cry: . I think the nieghbors are going to start yelling at me soon. Oh well :twisted: . Looks great Kieth. :clap:
69F110
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 69F110 »

Heavenlyfire...don't feel too bad about having no shop...I don't have a truck right now. I'm fixing to have a garage and driveway to work with, but no truck. Oh well, in a couple years (June 2007) I'll be back in the states and hopefully will begin acquiring all of the 67-72's I come into contact with.
Steve Davis
Pastor and U.S. Army Retired

1969 F100 Ranger LWB, 390 and 3 on the tree