Rubber floor in 72 Explorer question

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

Ozark Tim

Rubber floor in 72 Explorer question

Post by Ozark Tim »

First off, did the Explorer package come with a rubber floor, or were they carpeted? Mine has what appears to be an added brown shag carpet that more or less matches the ginger interior.
Secondly, is there more than one floor hump height on 2wd automatic models? Mine is a F-100 2wd w/360 & C6.
Finally, if this model is supposed to have a rubber floor does anyone know what they look like, or have a picture of an original interior for refference?
I am considering a purchase of a rubber mat, but the one I see in LMC looks like it stops at the seat and does not extend along the sides between the seat and the door sills. Please help with any details.
Thanks,
OT
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

re: Rubber floor in 72 Explorer question

Post by Joe Kriston »

Tim,...I have a '72 Explorer with the same interior package...It has an orig. black rubber floormat that does NOT extend down the door sills...I believe only the carpeted models did that...We had a discussion here a while back on floormats,...w or w/o lightning bolt,colors,etc.,....I'm not sure carpeting was part of the Explorer package...
This is the point...I'm....talking about everybody! I'm talking about form! I'm talking about content! I'm talking about interrelationships! I'm talking about God, the devil, hell, heaven!!!! Do you understand???? Finally!!!!
Ozark Tim

Post by Ozark Tim »

Joe,
Thanks for the help. I saw the Explorer advertisment on the site, and it looks like mine has all three levels of the Explorer package. The ad does not say anything about carpet at any level of the Explorer package.
Do you know if the floor height differs on any of these trucks? I wouldnt think they do, but I thought I would make sure before I ordered anything. My truck has a top pan that looks to be bolted onto the top of the hump, but I suppose that is standard on 2wd models???? I am not well rehearsed with Ford trucks so I am learning as I go.
By the way mine is code X ( or lt. goldenrod yellow ) with the ginger interior. Cool truck, but every time I push the accelerator pedal I hear a sound like a cash register opening. 9 or 10 mpg! It is just a secondary vehicle so I dont mind.
Thanks,
OT
Ozark Tim

Post by Ozark Tim »

Joe,
I did a bit of exploring on the Explorer, and I found a 3"x5" piece of the original rubber mat that must have torn off when the original was removed to add carpet. So that answers the question for my truck. It was definately a rubber mat. The piece I found was stuck to the floor right where the a/c drain terminates through the floor on the toeboard ( pass side ). A shocker is that there is a code molded on the piece I found. Does'nt look like a Ford number though. By the way it is black with a brown mottled look to it.
Take care,
OT
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Joe Kriston »

Mottled look....I like that...I was wondering what to call those color-keyed floormats...I don't think anybody makes a replacement with that look....What color is your dash?...Black or does it match the floormat?...My dash and floormat is black....

I read where you still had your bedrails...Mine came with them(I could tell by the location of the holes drilled in the bedrails),but they were removed and lost to accomadate a camper shell maaaany years ago :( Still hunting for a pair...
This is the point...I'm....talking about everybody! I'm talking about form! I'm talking about content! I'm talking about interrelationships! I'm talking about God, the devil, hell, heaven!!!! Do you understand???? Finally!!!!
lobuck76

Post by lobuck76 »

There are two different tranny humps, the C/6 truck had the tall one. I'd like to find an aftermarket that goes back along the seat.
'71 F-100
Ozark Tim

Post by Ozark Tim »

Joe,
The dash is black, door panels and seat surround are ginger ( or med. brown ) , the seat fabric is ginger with black and gold pattern ( I guess it originally was a plaid pattern but is faded ) and the floor mat was mottled black and brown. All this and code X lt. goldenrod yellow. Ooooh la la.
Good luck with those bed rails. I like em. They have eyelet's that can be slid up and down the rails for different settings and then tightened to stay where you want them.
The only thing I removed from the truck that was part of its Explorer package was the west coast mirrors. I put the little sport mirrors on it because the original west coast mirrors made so much wind noise I couldnt stand it and they affected my perifial vision too.
OT
GT-Racer
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by GT-Racer »

Tim I have a very nice rubber mat for sale. The last guy that was interested backed out because of the same question you brought up, is there two different ones for two different tranny humps. I still dont know the answer but if you find out holler at me. It is still for sale. There are a couple of small rust stains. I didnt clean very hard so they might come out.
'67 F100 2wd shortbed - Beginning restoration.
351w, 5-speed, 3:70 gears (someday)

Drivin' a Chevy is Kinda Like wipin' before you poop, it just don't make no sense....:)
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Joe Kriston »

Tim,our trucks are definitely close cousins....I still have the brown plaid seat,...not in too bad a shape really,the p.o. kept it covered,...but the springs and padding are worn,and I doubt I'll ever find the same plaid when I decide to redo it...Those west coast mirrors do take some getting used to...I had a SC with the sport mirrors,and I thought they were too small...Plus they seem to shake when you're driving...I don't like the look of the aftermarket mirrors,so I guess I'll just keep mine...

GT,is that an original floormat?...Mine has a small cross-hatch pattern to give it some grip---until you Armor-All it....
GT-Racer
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by GT-Racer »

I have no idea on the origin of the mat other than it came out of my 67 that I parted out. I wont be using it so therefore I am selling it.
'67 F100 2wd shortbed - Beginning restoration.
351w, 5-speed, 3:70 gears (someday)

Drivin' a Chevy is Kinda Like wipin' before you poop, it just don't make no sense....:)