the best 302 intake gaskets?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Banjo
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

the best 302 intake gaskets?

Post by Banjo »

I'd like your thoughts. I am highly "peeved". My 302 has an intake gasket leak at the front pass corner. who makes the best intake gasket set nowadays? I recall some thread about some well known set that is prone to leaks, I believe that is what I installed. I know I was extremely careful on my install, so I fault the new gasket set. I "think" (memory fade) I installed some that were black with orange silicon strips around the ports and I used "The Right Stuff" for the front and rear not the gaskets. It is leaking from right under that very front bolt on pass side, above the little water bypass hose. It is NOT the water bypass hose, you can see it puddled on the head between the intake and it runs off to stand on the front engine cover behind the water pump (so you'd think it was the bypass hose if you were not looking very carefully...I did at first).
Please, whoever ran into this awhile back on a 302 (it was the same situation, new brand name gaskets that sucked), post your final outcome and what you used, really need you guys help, advice, the old Banjo!
Brisco Darlin'......"You sure do render good Sheriff!"
69rangerman
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: the best 302 intake gaskets?

Post by 69rangerman »

I used 3 sets of the felpro printo-seal, but the first 2 I goofed up. The 3rd time experience caught up and I got it right- no problems 2 years later.

:fr:
"O say, does that star spangled banner yet wave? Oer the land of the free and the home of the brave?" It does at my house! God bless America!
M-100

Post by M-100 »

My mustang has a 302 . I used the felpros with very good results. Just make sure you get everything clean.Do not use the cork gaskets in the middle .Use some kind of gasket maker in place of those.Tork the bolts .I hope this helps. It is the way i did it 3 or 4 years ago . no leaks
Banjo
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Banjo »

funny thing is, I've installed about 20 intakes in my life, use dowel pins and used "The Right Stuff" (which blows away anything similar) for the front and rear ledges, and this is the first intake in my life that has leaked for me. I really think whatever brand of gaskets I used was defective. The difference is, I always used to use the regular gaskets you coated yourself and I recall these already had the silicone embossed on them. I appreciate everyone time to read/respond, Banjo.
Banjo
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Banjo »

And, I used a min-side grinder w/abrasives (the tiny little air powered grinder deals with the screw on discs) to get all surfaces mirror clean and chase that with laquer thinner and let air dry. I really don't think it's poor prep or workmanship, I am very meticulous about gaskets. I truly think someone has a bad run of gaskets or product out on the market.
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

I used the victors and the cork part was the front and rear edge a litle bit of rtv blue everywhere and let it tack like normal then applid gaskets and torqued it all down no leaks. just found out last night what killed my 302, a leaky fuel pump diaghpram. let the gas into the oil and bamo no oil pressure to speak of.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com