Ramps

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

Supermike
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Supermike »

That's originally what I had in mind, mainly for quick and easy oil changes. We had some yellow metal ones on the farm like you described, and that's what I always used as a kid until I started driving cars that required a contortionist to get to the oil filter.

The ramps would have been good if I had more room, but my street is uneven (slopes middle to sides), and my driveway is on a hill. That leaves the garage, and I'm not so sure I wouldn't hit the roof on something if I tried that. And lord forbid if they moved on me! lol

I'm hoping the creeper will work for me. My belly isn't small by any definition, but we'll see. I was sliding around under there on my back the other day thinking "what a pain in the @ss", so hopefully I can try the creeper out this weekend.
Former owner of a '67 F100 Camper Special
Current owner of a '06 F150 King Ranch 4x4 SuperCrew
iamthewreckingcrew

re: Ramps

Post by iamthewreckingcrew »

Just FYI, I have those Blitz Rhino ramps. I bought them probably ten years ago. They are the best ramps I've ever seen. Yeah, they are plastic, but they are rated for 8 or 12 thousand pounds depending on what set you get.

I've used them with my trucks and a Crown Vic. They hold the weight just fine. And as far as slipping, they have some big rubber feet under them that keep them from sliding, even on my smooth concrete garage floor.

You couldn't give me a set of metal ramps.
68 F-100 Short Box 2wd
302/c4/3.50
81 F-100 Long Box 2wd
460/c6/3.00
92 F-150 Lariat 4wd
302/auto couldn't go wrong for $500
old_mare

re: Ramps

Post by old_mare »

One of the tire shops in town is closing and they have 2 old alignment racks with the air jacks in the middle. I think one of those in the garage might be handy. Here's a link to something like what I'm talking about but a lot newer:

http://www.hunterengineering.com/pub/pr ... /index.htm

The ones for sale are not Hunter, they are FMC I believe. Manager said he'd make a sweet deal, too.

-JT-
"I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess." -Red Green

I'd rather push a Ford than drive a Chevy!

1930 Tudor : 1930 Pickup : 1969 F250 Custom
Supermike
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Supermike »

Those are pretty cool, JT... if the deal was right and you had the space, it would be tempting. For me, I'd have to park on it all the time. LOL!

The "Flush Mount Scissors Rack" is really cool... I'd love to have a shop with something like that or a regular lift.
westernkansas

Post by westernkansas »

I also have a set of those plastic ramps, I cured the sliding by cutting a strip of a comercial floor mat, the kind with rubber backing, a little bigger then the overall size of the ramps. I have used them on a 96 f150, a mid 80's conversion van, my moms firebird, my 72 f100, the various cars my nieces and kid brother has driven. even had my older brothers 6.5 diesle up on them. although on the heavier vehicles like the diesle and my 72, the side look like the bulge out a little which scares me but after being left up on them for a whole weekend the held up.
Wes
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Wes »

Ramps are great for rear wheel drive lube and service. I have used the Blitz's composite ramps at work, very nice.
I have metal ones at home, and floor jacks w/ body stands. Sometimes I will use ramps up front (or rear if fwd ) and body stands on rear to get the whole vehicle up and level to pull a trans do muffler work or ?
Wes

http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10402
67 F250 High boy
69 Bronco

If you can't see fit to stand behind Our Troops...Please stand in front of them :)
westernkansas

Post by westernkansas »

so while on the subject of the plastic ramps, has anyone ever used the wheel chucks made of the same material? I have been debating on buying a set of them so I can retire my concrete block.
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

Supermike wrote:You must have a smaller belly than me... haha!

I like having that extra bit of clearance, because anything within 5" of my head is called a magnet. lol
oh man, you have got to see me when im working on my trucks! lol since im so small, i can fit anwhere. i can actually sit under the bed of my truck upright, cross leggs and wrench on my bump. i never lay down unless im working under something really low like the tranny pan. i can also fit between the front wheel and cab area. also between the rad support and engine. i can inspect every square inch of my bump lol
-Ryan
Supermike
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Supermike »

Enjoy it while you can, Ryan! lol

Thanks for the feedback on the ramps, guys... I have a jack and jack stands now, but I still may get the ramps some day. We'll see how it works out. I've been thinking of buying some of those wheel chocks, too... I have half a concrete downspout basin I use right now. haha!
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

I have 4 ramps. Two of them are real heavy duty, two piece, with removable ramps, two are one-piece standard duty. I don't drive up onto them, I jack up the wheel and slide the ramp under. The heavy duty ones have a tire stop so that you can't drive off the end; I place one stop toward the front of the tire and on the other side, I put the stop toward the rear of the tire, that way the vehicle cannot roll either way.