A/C Hose Routing

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

Gray035

A/C Hose Routing

Post by Gray035 »

I am in the process of putting together an AC system in my '68. I acquired an older dealer evaporator unit. Here's a pic. Image

For everything else I'm going to use modern components. I got one of these brackets from a another user on this forum, and I plan to use a Sanden type compressor.

What I would like to know is if there are good considerations for routing the AC hoses through the firewall. Has anyone ever used a bulkhead like this?
Or is it easier just to route the entire hose through the firewall? Any pics of ideas would be much appreciated.
1968 F-250 Camper Special
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: A/C Hose Routing

Post by sargentrs »

I like those bulkhead and intend on doing something similar when I install mine. This writeup (thanks Keith) shows you where the original factory AC hoses were routed through the firewall.
http://www.fordification.com/tech/factory-AC.htm
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Gray035

Post by Gray035 »

I wonder if anyone on here has some pictures or info about where they placed the bulkhead. I'm trying to figure out the best place to put it.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Factory location was approximately here (red circle in 1st photo).
BulkheadLocation.jpg
ac_firewall-holes2.jpg
Heater hose routing is close to where the old heater hoses came through the firewall. Should be dimpled where they will need to be drilled and the old ones should be plugged.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Canonman67
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Canonman67 »

I used the same bracket and ran the lines under the inner fender. Image

I put the drier in front of the core support. Image

Making a few modifications so the hoses would lay flat. Image

I still have to make a guard to protect them but was distracted by a leaky rear main seal.
Looking at your evaporator unit you would be able to use the bulkhead fittings at the firewall also. I used a newer model and the fittings are almost right on the firewall which is why I ran the hoses through. In the next photo you can see the lines down low at the front of the engine. Image
Gray035

Post by Gray035 »

I have found that there are two types of two-port bulkhead readily available. One where both the ports are the same size (10 AN); and one where the ports are different sizes (6 AN and 10 AN). Does anyone know the use of each application?

I'm pretty sure that the Sanden compressors come with two different sized ports, so my initial thinking is that the bulkhead should probably also have two different sizes, but I'm not sure.
Canonman67
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Canonman67 »

Size 6 is the line from the condenser through the drier to the evaporator, size 10 from the evaporator to the compressor, size 8 from the compressor to the condenser.
Gray035

Post by Gray035 »

Canonman67 wrote:Size 6 is the line from the condenser through the drier to the evaporator, size 10 from the evaporator to the compressor, size 8 from the compressor to the condenser.
Did you use any connectors that had service ports in them? Or are the ports on the compressor accessible with the bracket we are using?
tylerb43
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tylerb43 »

Gray035 wrote:I have found that there are two types of two-port bulkhead readily available. One where both the ports are the same size (10 AN); and one where the ports are different sizes (6 AN and 10 AN). Does anyone know the use of each application?

I'm pretty sure that the Sanden compressors come with two different sized ports, so my initial thinking is that the bulkhead should probably also have two different sizes, but I'm not sure.
The two #10's are for your heater hoses. The #6 & #10 are your input and output from the evaporator.

Here's where I located my bulkhead fitting, fyi.

Canonman67
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Canonman67 »

I put the service ports by the compressor.
Gray035

Post by Gray035 »

tylerb43 wrote:
Gray035 wrote:I have found that there are two types of two-port bulkhead readily available. One where both the ports are the same size (10 AN); and one where the ports are different sizes (6 AN and 10 AN). Does anyone know the use of each application?

The two #10's are for your heater hoses. The #6 & #10 are your input and output from the evaporator.

Here's where I located my bulkhead fitting, fyi.

Where did you get the aluminum tubing that connect to your condenser? All the hose kits that I've found have short little tubing connectors. Did you have to bend the tubing? Or did they come pre-bent from somewhere?