Defroster Duct Tubing

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

davbell22602
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Defroster Duct Tubing

Post by davbell22602 »

Did the 67 F100 base models have defroster duct tubing? Were they all the same for the 67-72 F100?
67mann
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Defroster Duct Tubing

Post by 67mann »

:hmm: Do you think they only sold trucks to people in "warm climates" :eek: :P I not sure there any real difference in them that would keep from interchanging. One style might more round than oval.....only thing I see between my 70 set and the 67's.
I've had enough and I'm not alone
http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii304/67mann/
3 Speed

Post by 3 Speed »

From my 67 owner's manual, there was a difference in the defrost controls between the standard cab and the others, or, more specifically, between trucks with the standard heater controls and those with the "Deluxe" system. It seems the Deluxe was an option for the standard cab, and a standard item for the Custom and Ranger.

My Custom Cab has the deluxe set-up, which means I have three control knobs beneath the radio, including one to pull out to "turn on" the defrost by closing a door (I guess) in the ductwork to direct the air up to the dash.

The standard or basic set-up only had two knobs. I think the driver had to reach under the dash and manaully close the duct door to get defrost air.

I got to this conclusion when I saw defrost "On" and "Off" markings on the heater duct outlet under the center of my dash. You can see where a lever and door would have been for the basic arrangement.

Bottom line: Same ductwork on every model, but an even simpler defrost "switch" for the basic heater.

You and other Fordification members with a two-knob basic heater may have the rarest Bumps of all!
67 F101 Custom Cab longbed, 352 V8, 3 speed manual
davbell22602
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by davbell22602 »

All I have is 2 heater control cables under the radio. One is defrost and the other is temperature control. The third one under the radio is a choke cable for the carb.
3 Speed

Post by 3 Speed »

davbell22602 wrote:All I have is 2 heater control cables under the radio. One is defrost and the other is temperature control. The third one under the radio is a choke cable for the carb.
I would think the control under the radio is the heater knob, the other the temp control.

Is your choke not under the guage cluster?

I bet you do not have a lighter, either, as I do not think they came with the standard cab, unless the original owner bought it as an option.

Take a look at the owner's manual, if you have one.
davbell22602
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by davbell22602 »

3 Speed wrote:
davbell22602 wrote:All I have is 2 heater control cables under the radio. One is defrost and the other is temperature control. The third one under the radio is a choke cable for the carb.
I would think the control under the radio is the heater knob, the other the temp control.

Is your choke not under the guage cluster?

I bet you do not have a lighter, either, as I do not think they came with the standard cab, unless the original owner bought it as an option.

Take a look at the owner's manual, if you have one.
Yea your right I have no lighter either. Yep choke is under the radio not gauge cluster.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

You and other Fordification members with a two-knob basic heater may have the rarest Bumps of all!
Very good point as we don't see that many of them here with the two pull knobs like the 67' only had. Also a real good observation on the plenum assembly about the "on-off"! I'd noticed it for years and just scratched my head because there's no damper there to "cycle" or turn on and off! :hmm:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
3 Speed

Post by 3 Speed »

Owner's manual, Page 38:

WATER TEMPERATURE: The economy heater water temperature is regualted by adjustment of the hot water intake valve under the hood. It is usually set fully open in the winter and fully closed in the summer.
TO HEAT: Pull out on the heater blower switch knob to open the fresh air intake. There is no advantage in intermediate postions.
DEFROSTING: The economy heater defroster control is a crank-type lever located on the heater-duct, under the instrument panel. Move the lever to direct the air flow.
FAN OR BLOWER: The three-position switch on the instrument panel labeled "HEAT" operates an electric blower located in the heater passage. With this swith in the center position, the blower is off. By turning the knob clockwise, two speeds are available.

In other words, just ONE knob on the dash for the heater and fan, one lever under the dash for defrost, no control IN THE CAB for temp!

Pages 28-29 show the instrment panel and controls. Both diagrams show "Economy Heater Control (Optional)" under the guages, left of the choke, where later models had the optional cargo light switch.

Both pages shows the choke under the gauges.

Page 28 shows three buttons as "Deluxe Heater Controls (Optional)" under the radio, while Page 29 shows two buttons as "Heater Control" under the radio.

Not very clear.

Still confused by the choke swith being under the radio, unless a PO (1) moved the choke there of (2) used a "CHOKE" knob to replace a heater knob.

Do you have any knobs just right of the steering column?
davbell22602
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by davbell22602 »

I got 3 holes to the right of the steering. 2 holes are the same size and the other is bigger. I know 2 of them is for headlights and wipers.

Here's pic

72BahamaBlue
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 72BahamaBlue »

I'm pretty sure the 2nd hole to the right of the column is for the choke cable; it should have a small hole at 12 o'clock, the bezel has a pin that fits there. It's also a '67-only part, knob matches all the other '67 only ones. It also has a nut that won't fit the later style cable, the threads are different.
Hole to the right of that is for the lighter. Lights ignition and wiper switches are to the left of the column.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

unless a PO (1) moved the choke there of (2) used a "CHOKE" knob to replace a heater knob.
I would almost put money on #2 due to the cable assembly not being on a NAPA store shelf. :2cents:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
67mann
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 67mann »

:? about this whole thread being that...it's title is "Defrost duct tubing" and it's become more to the other post title,but I digress
In this pic....

He has all the hole's for a deluxe set up..... :hmm: so how many cable attachments do you have on the actual heater box :? I just went through a 67f100 replacing the heater box and correct bezal/cable set up. I now have to pull it and replace heater core :doh: I would be more than happy to take detailed pic's of what goes where and yes the choke cable belongs over underneith the instrument panel
I've had enough and I'm not alone
http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii304/67mann/
tmcalavy
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by tmcalavy »

Holes right of steering column are: cargo/bed light, choke, lighter.
davbell22602
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by davbell22602 »

Then maybe there's a heater choke cable then? If not whats the third hole under the radio for then? The previous oner of this truck might have just stuck on this bracket for time being since i got it in pieces.

3 Speed

Economy Heater 67

Post by 3 Speed »

New thread:

Does anyone here have a 67 with the "economy heater." After all our back and forth trying to make a simple ducti question from our friend more complicated, it seems to me that a 67 with an economy heater (1) had one heater control knob to the left of the choke and (2) had no knobs under the radio (or radio delete plate).

Were there chrome plates instead of the three knobs, or was there some other kind of delete plate?

Would love to see an original with this set-up.

67mann wrote::? about this whole thread being that...it's title is "Defrost duct tubing" and it's become more to the other post title,but I digress
In this pic....
[ Image ]

He has all the hole's for a deluxe set up..... :hmm: so how many cable attachments do you have on the actual heater box :? I just went through a 67f100 replacing the heater box and correct bezal/cable set up. I now have to pull it and replace heater core :doh: I would be more than happy to take detailed pic's of what goes where and yes the choke cable belongs over underneith the instrument panel