22 gallon Mustang tank install

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

dantheman71
Preferred User
Preferred User

22 gallon Mustang tank install

Post by dantheman71 »

I got rid of my in cab bomb (fuel tank) and couldn't decide what to replace it with. Then I read a post by Bobbyford and decided to go with the Mustang tank. Here is the link to his thread http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... =7&t=46022 If you have a short bed and a removable rear bumper I would recommend following his steps. (Gives you another inch of ground clearance)

I had to modify the way I did mine because I have a welded in roll pan so in order to get the tank out I would have to lift the box, but in order to bolt the box down the tank has to be out of the way. Here is what I came up with to solve all of that.

First off just made a square frame out of 1/8" X 1 1/2" flat bar.
Then drilled holes in the flat bar to match the holes in the tank.
The curve of the frame causes a gap at the front of the tank.
closer look at gap
to fill the gap I used a piece of 3/8" X 1 1/2" flat bar, and across the back I used a piece of square tubing with flat bar on the ends to make it bolt in, didn't take a great pic of them but you can see them both in this pic. Cross member is hanging on the left side.
Here is a pic of just the frame bolted in, I welded nuts on the top of the frame for the 4 bolts on the frame rail, and then just tapped the flat bar and tubing across the front and back.
And here is a final shot of the tank installed.
Hope this is helpful to someone :thup:
1972 Ford F-100
2002 Ford F-150
2002 Yamaha Raptor 660
Check out my NEW build thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 93#p641993
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 22 gallon Mustang tank install

Post by BobbyFord »

Nice job!! :thup:
mljjones67
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by mljjones67 »

:yt: Very nice job!!
Alvin in AZ
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Alvin in AZ »

Yeah, cool, looks like a really good fit! :)
I like to see pictures of modified parts.
So why not a "33" gallon Bronco tank? :)
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/BroncoDamage.jpg

----------------------------------------

Took mine out and replacing it with a 18.2 gallon from a '91 F150 so I can put a spare under it.
Then going to add a 16.5 gallon midship tank, two EFI fuel pumps that way, see? ;)
Used the tank from the F250 parts truck as a model. Narrowed up the side seams with a cut
off disc on a little hand grinder. Had water running on it, keeping it cool, the whole time.
Not sure I'm going to have to do that with the "like new" F150 tank.

Hmmm... I should take a picture today, before I install it this week sometime. :)
Bronco frame had to be cut back (like the F's already are) to fit the flatter+wider 18.2 in there.

-----------------------------------

Seems like the narrow Bronco tank would fit a Bump frame pretty good? :)
Anybody want measurements? :)
{aw heck, Alvin, get off your lazy butt :/ and go measure it}
The flange edges... 22x 31+7/8"
The "box"... 20+1/2x 29+1/2x 15+1/2"
Tank is supported by a "skid plate", bolt holes are slots, so front to back, 24 to 24+1/2" apart.

Alvin in AZ
ps- Everyone calls it a "33" but Ford sez it's 32.0 gallon. :)
pps- "17"+"19" = 36 compared to 33 ...so I'm not loosing anything other than the transfer case! LOL :)
dantheman71
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dantheman71 »

HOLY!! If I put a 33 gallon tank in I would only have to fill up twice a year :lol:

I picked the Mustang tank because I am not create enough to come up with my own idea, so I just stole Bobbyfords idea and made it work for me. :thup:
1972 Ford F-100
2002 Ford F-150
2002 Yamaha Raptor 660
Check out my NEW build thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 93#p641993
Alvin in AZ
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Alvin in AZ »

dantheman71 wrote: HOLY!! If I put a 33 gallon tank in I would only have to fill up twice a year
I picked the Mustang tank because I am not create enough to come up with
my own idea, so I just stole Bobbyfords idea and made it work for me.
LOL :)
I didn't mean to be "second guessing you" other than to give you a chance to say "why".
Heard of Dent 'n "Wedge" owners using the "33" but got to thinking it'd be even better
for Bumps ...if it'd fit. :) Are you still in a situation where it'd be easy to measure your
frame?

>flange edges... 22x 31+7/8"
>"box"... 20+1/2x 29+1/2x 15+1/2"
>supported by a "skid plate", bolt holes are slots, so front to back, 24 to 24+1/2" apart.

Ford could have made the "33" flatter and wider by opening the frame up like they did
on the F-series. Haven't got any ideas on their reasoning on that one. :/

BTW, your tank and how it fit looks great, no kidding, and that's coming from a lifelong
tinkering fool (the most critical weirdos on the planet when it comes to such things!).

Alvin in AZ
dantheman71
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dantheman71 »

Alvin,
I will have my frame back in my garage sometime this weekend and I will measure it up. If I remember the measurements correctly I think you have a pretty good idea there and it would fit, but I will look closer and let you know....
1972 Ford F-100
2002 Ford F-150
2002 Yamaha Raptor 660
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

I know the short bed is different, measurement-wise, but I wasn't smart enough to record measurements when I did mine :(
dantheman71
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dantheman71 »

Alvin in AZ wrote: Are you still in a situation where it'd be easy to measure your
frame?

>flange edges... 22x 31+7/8"
>supported by a "skid plate", bolt holes are slots, so front to back, 24 to 24+1/2" apart.

Ford could have made the "33" flatter and wider by opening the frame up like they did
on the F-series. Haven't got any ideas on their reasoning on that one. :/

BTW, your tank and how it fit looks great, no kidding, and that's coming from a lifelong
tinkering fool (the most critical weirdos on the planet when it comes to such things!).

Alvin in AZ
Yes I am and here are the measurements:
Distance between yellow arrows (factory crossmember to end of frame) 30+ 3/4"
Distance between green arrows (factory crossmember and my custom crossmember) 27" (This is a long bed truck, shortys will be shorter obviously)
Distance between black arrows (inside frame @ widest point) 33 + 5/8"
Distance between yellow arrows (inside of frame edge @ narrow point AFTER being trimmed) 30 + 3/4"
Keep in mind I trimmed off about 1+1/4" from each side.
Having said all of this I don't see why you couldn't make the bronco tank work because the longest dimension is 31+7/8" and that would slide between the frame rails and you could trim it so the the 29+ 1/2" would hang below. HOWEVER, my Mustang tank is only about 10" deep, I originally had a racing fuel cell installed and changed my plan because the Mustang tank gave me more clearance. If somebody with a lowered truck like mine had a tank over 15" tall I think it would be dragging on the ground quite often.
1972 Ford F-100
2002 Ford F-150
2002 Yamaha Raptor 660
Alvin in AZ
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Alvin in AZ »

dantheman71 wrote: >flange edges... 22x 31+7/8"

Distance between yellow arrows (factory crossmember to end of frame) 30+ 3/4"
Distance between green arrows (factory crossmember and my custom crossmember) 27"
(This is a long bed truck, shortys will be shorter obviously)
Distance between black arrows (inside frame @ widest point) 33 + 5/8"
Distance between yellow arrows (inside of frame edge @ narrow point AFTER being trimmed) 30 + 3/4"
Keep in mind I trimmed off about 1+1/4" from each side.
...don't see why you couldn't make the bronco tank work because the longest dimension is 31+7/8"
and that would slide between the frame rails and you could trim it so the the 29+ 1/2" would hang below.
x2 :)
It'll fit easy or could be made to fit no sweat. :)
Thanks, Dan. :)

Alvin in AZ
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

You called the interior tank a bomb but as many times I have scraped the rear bumper and frame off road I think the rear mounted tank is worse.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
71 F250 with Shell Car 390 NP435 Dana 60 3.73s, PS, PB, 750 EC VS Holley Accel Points Eliminator.
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
71 Service manuals Volumes 1,2,3 and 4 So ask away. :)
My Gallery
Spark test
dantheman71
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dantheman71 »

Dragon wrote:You called the interior tank a bomb but as many times I have scraped the rear bumper and frame off road I think the rear mounted tank is worse.
:lol: Good point! After thinking about it the fuel tank is protected better in the cab than it is out back. I won't be off-roading but with just a roll pan my truck would blow up like a Ford Pinto if I ever got rear-ended (won't happen, it will be too fast for someone to catch me :wink: )
I guess I just didn't want to listen to the fuel sloshing around anymore, but I could have solved that with a bigger stereo. 8)
1972 Ford F-100
2002 Ford F-150
2002 Yamaha Raptor 660
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

The Pinto gas tank was not sitting between the rails of a truck frame, it was sitting in a cheesy unibody.
dantheman71
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dantheman71 »

BobbyFord wrote:The Pinto gas tank was not sitting between the rails of a truck frame, it was sitting in a cheesy unibody.
Are you trying to tell me that the Pinto was cheesy????
:lol:
1972 Ford F-100
2002 Ford F-150
2002 Yamaha Raptor 660
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

dantheman71 wrote:
BobbyFord wrote:The Pinto gas tank was not sitting between the rails of a truck frame, it was sitting in a cheesy unibody.
Are you trying to tell me that the Pinto was cheesy????
:lol:
I banged 3rd testing a tranny problem on my first stock Pinto and tore the shifter out of the top of the tranny. Found the problem, plastic ball and cap held the shifter in and the threads on the tranny top was a plastic insert. Well the fix was a new tranny top cover and shifter. Cheap and Cheesy.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
71 F250 with Shell Car 390 NP435 Dana 60 3.73s, PS, PB, 750 EC VS Holley Accel Points Eliminator.
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
71 Service manuals Volumes 1,2,3 and 4 So ask away. :)
My Gallery
Spark test