(All "W" Series with 8V-71 Engines)
(THIS ARTICLE CANCELS AND SUPERSEDES ARTICLE 1898)
TSB article 1898 is being reprinted because part kits are no longer available. Parts required must be ordered individually and hoses required are not serviced and must be fabricated. This installation provides a new power steering pump and a remote mounted reservoir.
Remove and discard the following parts:
- 1. Power steering pump and reservoir assembly.
2. Pump drive adapter and gaskets.
3. Pump drive flange and drive coupling.
4. Power steering pump and reservoir to relief valve to steering gear hoses. Do not remove the two steering gear to power cylinder hoses. The two straight adapters located in the steering gear are reused and should remain in the gear.
5. Vickers Relief Valve: Note: Remove the steering gear to power cylinder hose support bracket from the relief valve and reinstall it on the transmission tower support.
6. Engine oil filler tube and gasket.
- 1. Refer to Figure 3 for component orientation.
2. Install the power steering pump drive components in the sequence shown on Figure 4. Torque the shoulder bolts to 45-50 ft. lbs.
3. Install a new gasket and adapter. Retain the adapter with the (4) four !4-13 bolts previously used to attach the oil filler tube to the engine.
4. Install the power steering pump adapter gasket and power steering pump. Retain with (2) 20428-S2 bolts and (2) 34807-S2 lockwashers.
NOTE: Install the power steering pump with the two outlets in the down position.
5. Install the new oil filler pipe assembly 5109278 and gasket. Reuse the (6) 3/8-16 bolts previously used to attach power steering pump adapter to the engine. For sleeper cab oil filler tube modification, refer to Figure 7 . Both new and old tubes must be used for this installation. Total length after modification should be approximately 30 inches. The old tube supports may be reworked to support the modified tube.
6. Fabricate a reservoir mounting bracket as shown on Figure 5 . Fasten the bracket to the engine air inlet pipe support as shown on Figure 8 . Install the reservoir on the bracket with 3/8-16 x 1-1/4" long bolts, lock-washers, and nuts (4 each required).
NOTE: The bottom of the reservoir must be 9-10 inches above the frame side rail top flange. This position is required for proper fluid flow from the reservoir to the pump.
7. Cut new hoses and install fittings. Figure 6 shows the hose routing and fitting location.
|Part Number||Part Name||Class||Avail.|
|C9HZ-3A641-A||Gear - Pump Drive||CQ||OK|
|C9HZ-3E527-A||Spacer -Pump Gear||CQ||OK|
|C9HZ-3K505-A||Adapter -Pump Mtg.||CQ||OK|
|C9HZ-3K506-A||Gasket - Pump||CQ||OK|
|C9HZ-3E526-A||Gear — Pump Drive||CQ||OK|
|C9HZ-3A641-B||Gear - Pump Drive||CQ||OK|
|C9HZ-6B612-A||Pipe & Car Assembly||CQ||OK|
PRODUCTION CORRECTION: October, 1969.
WARRANTY STATUS: Reimbursable within the provisions of the Warranty and Policy Manual.
Time: 5.7 Hrs.
DLR. CODING: 3-3696-A-41