Cooling fan and clutch question

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Gaslight

Cooling fan and clutch question

Post by Gaslight »

This is on a 69 F100 with its original 360. The original fan shroud was in poor condition so I bought a replacement. When I bought the truck it had the spacer off the water pump to the fan directly. So after reading on hear about using the Derale 17118 & Hayden 2710 clutch. The fan is contacting my AC compressor and needs to go into the shroud about another 1.75 inches. What am I missing?

Jake
PXL_20240312_001211636.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1969 F100 Ranger
Jbarnes79

Re: Cooling fan and clutch question

Post by Jbarnes79 »

The solution to this was to take the stock spacer and cut it to the desired thickness to move your fan closer to the radiator. See this thread below.

viewtopic.php?t=57935&start=15
http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67810

1969 F250 4x4
1969 F250 Crew cab (Sold)
1972 F250
1969 & 1970 Mustang
Gaslight

Post by Gaslight »

Thank you for that link. Either I had not noticed or I have not found that thread yet. It is what I came up with last night. In the thread he came up with 1" but I was thinking 1.5. I don't want to cut down my factory spacer. But I may buy or build one. I have the luxury of having a machine shop in my sheet metal shop. The 1" may end being the sweet spot. Gonna have to experiment a bit I guess.

Thank you again.

Jake
1969 F100 Ranger
Fraser

Post by Fraser »

What about fabricating a stack of four, 3/8 spacers? Add or subtract as required, plus the ability to change in the future, should you get a different compressor, or alternator. Just a thought, for what it's worth.
F. Noble, Saskatchewan.
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

I think there used to be different length clutch fan shafts , depending on the application.
Gaslight

Post by Gaslight »

Fraser,

I thought about doing something like that. But I have a factory Ford 1.5 spacer coming. I think at least for now that will get me handled. Then I can start working out the condenser for AC and work that out. Because of that I may end up with a 1".

Cep62,

I spent time online looking for just that at all the fan clutch companies I could find. There is a unit that looks like it may work. I would only gain just under 1/2". But its all metric. Because its metric I think I may have to slightly drill out holes on the fan. I really want the truck to have parts that can just be replaced if they break with over the counter replacement parts and no modifications to make them work.

Jake
1969 F100 Ranger