Which Ididit steering column?

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

thomastedder

Which Ididit steering column?

Post by thomastedder »

I'm trying to fix a gap between my steering wheel and column. My cab mounts and rag joint is fine.

I loosened everything up and slid the column as much as possible, but there is still a small gap. I was able to able to reduce the gap from about an inch to about half an inch by doing this, but it remains.

Upon further inspection and some research on this site, it seems that this truck was converted to power steering at some point in its life. I base this on the fact that my truck is a 1971 and I have a Bendix power steering unit. It seems that they stopped making those in 1968? My truck has a shift on the column, but it was maybe a manual column that had an automatic collar added?

Anyway, I think a new column is in order since my shaft is too long (the story of my life.) I don't want used so I was looking at the Ididit columns. I have no idea which one will work or even if one of them will work. Any help is appreciated.
thomastedder

Re: Which Ididit steering column?

Post by thomastedder »

If not Ididit, any other ideas? According to this article http://fordification.com/tech/powersteering.htm, I think I need a column that is 34-15/16".