Aftermarket Turn signal unit- but no brake lights

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

Sollauer

Aftermarket Turn signal unit- but no brake lights

Post by Sollauer »

Greetings All-
I will preface this question with an admission of electrical ignorance.
That said, does anyone have experience with using an aftermarket turn signal/brake signal lever?
68 F250 2wd. Just got the truck and brake lights werent working, and when I changed the steering wheel, the turn signal cam parts were broken, so I opted for this to remedy it.
I have wired it up and I have running lights, and turn signal and flashers work. I replaced the brake switch and it seems to be working as far as getting power to the circuit, however I still have no brake lights.
Along the way I had a little trouble. In the glove box there is the emergency flasher switch and and when I unplugged that, I got turn signals working.
I made connections to both front turn signals by pulling those lines from the feed to the column and made the connections there. I do however have a long wire temporarily running from the new turn signal unit to each rear fixture. (I did this because it seemed that the wires colors feeding the original turn signal switch for the tail lights may not have matched up with the Ford Manual) so I opted to just run to the rear and bypass that. Rear housings are grounded. As I said- tail lights good- now turn signals good. You can see also, I switched the black and blue wires on the flasher unit as when wired to match the diagram on the box, I got no turn signals. It bears mentioning however, when wired as drawn on the diagram at the flasher, the new turn signal unit flashed (the green left and right signal indicators on the unit.) But the turn signals werent working. However when I switched the black and blue wires, that stopped and I got left and right arrows illuminating on the dash as a normal signal would. And the lights all worked.
Lengthy- explanation- I apologize- trying to offer up what I have done thus far. No brake lights. Thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thanks, Mark
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Aftermarket Turn signal unit- but no brake lights

Post by cep62 »

:wel:
Welcome to our site.
That is an aftermarket add on switch. If you have power going to the switch from the brake light switch and nothing coming out ,
it sounds like a defective switch to me.
Can you exchange it for another one ?
If not maybe you can open it up and look inside.
A volt / ohm meter is the best tool to diagnose this.
Jbarnes79

Post by Jbarnes79 »

I had the same unit when I bought my 69 Crew Cab and had nothing but problems with it. I reverted back to the stock switch and it worked great after wiring it back in. Relatively easy to do and has good wiring instructions. All for about $50.

https://www.lmctruck.com/1957-72-ford/s ... onents-2wd
http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67810

1969 F250 4x4
1969 F250 Crew cab (Sold)
1972 F250
1969 & 1970 Mustang
Sollauer

Post by Sollauer »

I purchased another unit- will give that a go next weekend and post a result! Thanks fellas
Thanks, Mark
Sollauer

Post by Sollauer »

Same issue with the new unit installed. No brake lights. Turn signals work.
A little stumped
Thanks, Mark
Jbarnes79

Post by Jbarnes79 »

If you have power on the red wire of your brake switch then check for power going into your turn signal switch (Green- Red Stripe). If you have power there then check if it is coming out of your turn signal switch at 2 places (Green- Orange stripe) and (Orange-Blue stripe).
http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67810

1969 F250 4x4
1969 F250 Crew cab (Sold)
1972 F250
1969 & 1970 Mustang
Sollauer

Post by Sollauer »

will do-thanks

Wondering if this would work.

Leave all alone that is working. If Power into stoplight switch is good (from battery), then take power out from there and feed directly back to each of the rear turn signal wires. ?? Bypassing the column mounted box in case the issue is within that? The turn signal box would still feed the blinkers, and the stoplight switch should power those same wires when the circuit is made. Make sense?
Thanks, Mark
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

Sollauer wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:04 am The turn signal box would still feed the blinkers, and the stoplight switch should power those same wires when the circuit is made. Make sense?
No. Electricity is like water , it takes the path of least resistance.
you would need diodes , basically a one way check valve to stop back feeding through the switch.
The way the switch works it is supposed to sort the power to the appropriate side for the brake then make the other side blink.
it sounds like it's defective , try contacting the company for trouble shooting ?
They do make kits for trailers to convert separate brake and turn signals on the tow vehicle to trailers that use a brake/turn system.
They're not too expensive , but it would be so much simpler to fix it right with a factory replacement switch set up that will cancel the blinkers when you complete a turn. and safer too. :2cents:
Sollauer

Post by Sollauer »

Couldn't sort it out- finally just ran a new line from the working brake light switch to the tailights and drilled a hole in each housing and popped in another fixture for a 1156 bulb....case closed.
Thanks, Mark