How do I remove the lock on the side storage compartment?

Moderator: FORDification

wadeanderson

How do I remove the lock on the side storage compartment?

Post by wadeanderson »

I’m new to this group, I just purchased a 1972 F250 which has a locked side storage compartment. Locksmith wants $100 to unlock it and make a key. The last 2 owners have not had a key for it and have not opened it.
Is there a way I can remove the lock and replace it with a new one?
I was thinking about taking and angle grinder to it or figure out another way to remove it.
I think a new lock that will fit it is around $20

I appreciate any suggestions.
Wade
Silverflash

Re: How do I remove the lock on the side storage compartment?

Post by Silverflash »

It's been 3 years but from memory, it's got 4 nuts that hold in the studs installed in the lock body.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Assuming you are POSITIVE you can get a lock, i would run a drill down the center key slot ...

All things considered if you have a functioning latch and lock 100.00 might not be a bad deal, it looks like the OE is long discontinued / exhausted and i did not immediately find anyone reproducing.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Fraser

Post by Fraser »

If you destroy that latch, you will never find another. You can jerry rig a universal one, but it won't be perfect. Shop around for a cheaper locksmith.
F. Noble, Saskatchewan.
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

Did an internet search and the storage compartment lock problem seems to be common. Some alternates and Nice diagram shown -

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1473 ... -lock.html

$100 seems high but might be less expansive than anything else in the long run.
catman

Post by catman »

Hey there, here is what I have done to open mine, take a large screwdriver and insert between the top of the door and where the latch would be bolted to bedside, put a thick rag under screwdriver so that it does not damage paint and metal lip. Prying downward gently but firmly you should be able to spread the gap apart enough to pop the latch. The plastic liner where the latch stop is should have enough flex in it to lift out of the way. Once door is open there are four nuts on the latch remove those and latch will come out, soak in penatrating oil to free up lock cylinder. On the front of the cylinder beside the keyway will be a number this is the cut code for the new key locksmith will need that code for to cut new key. Good luck remember be gentle otherwise you will bend metal out of shape
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

Great reply. Risk of bending and of damaging finish acknowledged, but definitely good idea.
catman

Post by catman »

Forgot to mention once you have the latch out , I think the lock cylinder is held in with a u shaped spring clip, and I am not totally sure but I think the latch and lock cylinder is the same up to 1979 F series so maybe find one at the local boneyard if yours is pooched. Good luck