Engine rebuild cost

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Drewski+82

Engine rebuild cost

Post by Drewski+82 »

I have a 1970 swb F100 and I’m in need of guidance as to what would be the best bang for my buck. Just to give you an ideal of what the future holds for the truck, I’m looking to make a street/race truck with enough horsepower to get up and go...QA independent front susp w/4-link on the rear; disc brakes; hydroboost setup; lowered (but not too low); bed floor will be braced then cutout; carbon fiber hood; moving radiator to bed. I currently have 2 engines….

-(currently in the truck) Original 302 - performer intake, edelbrock carb, bbk headers, new water pump, aluminum radiator, and a few other things.

-(Disassembled)351 Cleveland w/ cobra jet heads(open chambers), CJ intake, and all the other bits and pieces.

I have not had an engine built and I have no clue what it would cost. The question I have for y’all is would it be more cost effective to machine and rebuild the 302 or the 351 or should I get something else? (I have found a place in Texas sell 7.3l Godzilla w/transmission for under $10k)
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Engine rebuild cost

Post by cep62 »

Not trying to be offensive but just out of curiosity how old are you ?
A older adult with a good income asking those questions may get a different answer than a youngin with more ideas than money. :D
And what kind of racing ? Drag ? get the jumbo big block. if you're going to be cutting corners a small block might be more balanced and nimble.
I'm more prone to a big block but I don't plan on cornering .
Drewski+82

Post by Drewski+82 »

I’m 40 with a great income.

Im wanting to build a sleeper. I may take it to the strip, but mostly street race if the opportunity arrises. NOT looking to go to car shows, Cruising the coast, or go on trips. Simply, I just want a bulletproof motor (500-600hp) that will go fast and if a “youngin” pulls up and wants a go, I’ll be able to lay some tracks.

So, would building one of the engines that I own (302 or 351c) give me the most horsepower per dollar or would buying a Godzilla or coyote and adding bolt-ons?
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

If you want neck snapping torque in a heavy truck a 302 probably won't impress you.
The Godzilla looks like a new style of engine.
I'd lean towards a stroked 460 type engine , something with good parts availability and tried and true combinations :2cents: .