Lifter knock?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

TexasTruck72
Preferred User
Preferred User

Lifter knock?

Post by TexasTruck72 »

This is a question I've had for years and it occurs on both my 1972 F-100 and 1976 F-150, each having stock 360 FE V8s. But this is especially noticeable on my 76.

When I drive the truck down the road, with any pressure on the gas pedal, the engine sounds normal. But anytime I let off the gas pedal or especially when I put the truck in park, the amount of clacking noise increases significantly. I've always thought this is due to a drop in oil pressure and having stuck lifters/not being able to float them. I'm also aware of the common problem of bent pushrods with FEs. This noise is most noticeable once the engine warms up. If I were to begin diagnosing this issue or attempt to fix it, where should I start? I'm not super thrilled with the idea of pulling the intake and tearing the top of the engine down to replace the lifters but I am considering it. Would pulling the valve covers and checking the rockers first be logical? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Jack

1943 Ford GPW Jeep(sold)
1972 F-100 Custom
1976 F-150 Explorer
1996 F-150 Eddie Bauer ed.
phantomtruck68

Re: Lifter knock?

Post by phantomtruck68 »

Yes definitely pull valve covers first. Check for bent rods or loose rocker arms. The shafts may have some wear causing oil pressure loss at idle. Try running it with cover off see how much oil your getting up top. How many miles is on engine?
What is your oil pressure idling hot?
Joe
My Phantom truck
1968 F250 4x4
390 FE, bored .030, Crane 272 cam, 600cfm Edelbrock carb.
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

Maybe get a stethoscope (or a chunk of hose) and listen where it might be.
I've had a fuel pump make a lifter like noise
And I Think I saw my dad change a lifter in a FE without removing the intake .
He used a magnet and some skill , but that was a long time ago.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

=cep62
Maybe get a stethoscope (or a chunk of hose) and listen where it might be.
I've had a fuel pump make a lifter like noise
And I Think I saw my dad change a lifter in a FE without removing the intake .
He used a magnet and some skill , but that was a long time ago.
How is that possible? Don't the intake manifold bolts on the FE tighten into the head? How could you get access to the "lifter valley" without pulling the intake? Unless the FE is a lot...different than my SBF and BB Ford engines I've built? :hmm:

Edit: but the stethoscope is spot on as I use one my whole life for things like this, (put the end on bolt heads to pinpoint a ticking. And also try some oil additives, (MMO is my fav) that might just save you a lot of work. :pray:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

Like I said it was a long time ago , but I think he was able to get one out. You wouldn't want to change a whole set of them that way.
If you look at a picture there is a gap between the runners and with patience and a couple of magnets it might be possible.
I remember once he was shorting out cylinders to pinpoint the lifter click. If it clicked when it missing you could tell which one it is.
On one cylinder it became a double click , the piston was loose on the wrist pin.
And they used to list 3 different length push rods for F E s if you milled the head when you did a valve job the stock pushrods were too long and you could burn a valve.
Mach428
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Mach428 »

FE’s are a totally different animal than any other V8. The push rids go through the intake. In fact, I’ve seen experienced FEers replace lifters by simple pulling the valve covers and push rod shaft. Look at how they’re built.