Engine compartment ground locations

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

Gaslight

Engine compartment ground locations

Post by Gaslight »

I've done a general look around and cannot find anything that shows the factory ground cable locations. I have a 69 F100 with a 360. Would just like to put it back like factory and any old ground cables are missing.

Jake
1969 F100 Ranger
Fraser

Re: Engine compartment ground locations

Post by Fraser »

Generally, they go to the lower, right area of the engine block, near the alternator. Not on the timing cover, each engine family has it's own spot, I don't have an FE here to look at, but there should be a raised spot, machined flat with a threaded hole.
Sometimes, there is a stud, see if there is an unused stud or threaded hole in this area where it may have been before.
F. Noble, Saskatchewan.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Gaslight, I've done a general look around and cannot find anything that shows the factory ground cable locations. I have a 69 F100 with a 360. Would just like to put it back like factory and any old ground cables are missing.

Jake
There are several in the engine compartment.

1) Main battery ground cable to the engine block as described above.
2) Engine intake manifold braided ground to the firewall.
3) Radiator support to the frame rail.
4) Steering box coupler from one side to the other.

I'm not sure the wiring diagrams would help with this but maybe the 358 mile Explorer pics would. :wink:

www.fordification.com/70explorer_358miles.htm
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

Although the factory didn't do this , I like to put a ground to the base of the starter solenoid/relay.
It helps with starting especially , with older rusty vehicles.
zgerbic

Post by zgerbic »

Another one I have seen added is from the battery ground connector down to the voltage regulator mounting screws.

Like for the starter solenoid, grounds around the engine compartment can be compromised by rust, corrosion or loose screws after 50 years.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

cep62
Although the factory didn't do this , I like to put a ground to the base of the starter solenoid/relay.
It helps with starting especially , with older rusty vehicles.
:yt: :yt: :yt: :yt: :yt: :yt: :yt: :yt:

Nightmare...200 miles from home on US Navy leave and the Maverick fails to start, (in a snowstorm in the WV mountains trying to get to TN).
FOLKS THE STARTER SOLENOID HAS TO BE GROUNDED OR IT DOESNT WORK!!!

So it arched causing a spark / then less than 12 volts kicked in holding the solenoid in constantly cranking the engine / I'm running for the trunk for a wrench to get the battery disconnected / as it melts my ignition starting circuit wires!!!

AFTER THAT I NOT ONLY RAN A DEDICATED GROUND TO THE SOLENOID BUT I ALWAYS NUT AND BOLTED EVERY SINGLE SOLENOID I INSTALLED AFTER THAN WITH NYLON LOCKING NUTS!!!
Jeff
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Gaslight

Post by Gaslight »

Thank you very much. This and further deep dive on Google and I think I have it all worked out and some parts ordered. I also found two of the original grounds tucked up out of the way until I got the heads off the engine.

Jake

basketcase0302 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:04 pm
Gaslight, I've done a general look around and cannot find anything that shows the factory ground cable locations. I have a 69 F100 with a 360. Would just like to put it back like factory and any old ground cables are missing.

Jake
There are several in the engine compartment.

1) Main battery ground cable to the engine block as described above.
2) Engine intake manifold braided ground to the firewall.
3) Radiator support to the frame rail.
4) Steering box coupler from one side to the other.

I'm not sure the wiring diagrams would help with this but maybe the 358 mile Explorer pics would. :wink:

www.fordification.com/70explorer_358miles.htm
1969 F100 Ranger
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Your more than welcome. :thup:
Don't surprise me the PO left grounds unhooked, (common laziness we've all see shade tree mechanics do to our trucks over the years). :(
Jeff
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4