Shades of windshield and all glass

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

Ferris95

Shades of windshield and all glass

Post by Ferris95 »

I am looking to replace the windshield (seal is bad) and put in a rear slider. Looking for pics and/or opinions of which glass to get and from where. On LMC, you can get clear, shaded or tinted. tinted has that green tint. Shaded has the green tint and the dark band at the top of the windshield. The side and vent windows come in clear or tinted (greenish). Would love to see some pics of trucks that have the tinted or shaded glass before I decide. I am going to do the windshield first as the bad seal is I think what is causing both passenger and drivers side carpet to be wet after raining! Gotta get that fixed fast!
Other part is where to get the glass? LMC? CJ PonyParts? Classic Industries? Found a guy that will replace the windshield, unless it’s not that hard to do myself? Thanks for any help on this!
68 F-250 Ranger Camper Special 390 FE
Retired Army
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Shades of windshield and all glass

Post by basketcase0302 »

Both front and rear windows I did myself with a 2nd set of hands, (only after getting a premium new gasket for both). You stand a very good chance of breaking the glass trying to use the old gaskets.
And there are two more places you'll want to confirm on that leak, (usually the two most common places too) which are the windshield wiper pivot arm gaskets and the hood to firewall seal, (if water is running down between the hood and firewall it's got 4-5 places to track into the cab from there).
Also make a very good inspection of the cowl vent areas, (after pulling out the kick panel vents as those are usually full of leaves that have composted to dirt rusting out the panel letting water into the cab by your feet. :wink:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Mach428
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Shades of windshield and all glass

Post by Mach428 »

If I may ask, why are you replacing the windshield, which may be original Carlite. Regardless, I do almost every bit of restoration work on my vehicles but I had a mobile glass company install new rubbers that I supplied from Dennis Carpenter. Mine has chrome trim, which makes it twice as difficult. Be sure to ask the glass vender if they have such experience.