Help identify wire

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

nettak49

Help identify wire

Post by nettak49 »

I pulled the gauge bezel of to troubleshoot the dome light always on issue I've been having. I noticed this wire not connected to anything and traced it through the firewall to under the air cleaner. Can anyone give me an idea what this is for and what it is supposed to be connected to? The only other unconnected wires I could see were the two brown wires with female connector seen in the first photo and another red wire further to the left with a male bullet connector (not shown).

Thanks for any help.

My toys: 1970 F100 XLT, 302; 2018 Harley Davidson Fatbob; 2016 Toyota Tundra
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Help identify wire

Post by basketcase0302 »

I pulled the gauge bezel of to troubleshoot the dome light always on issue I've been having. I noticed this wire not connected to anything and traced it through the firewall to under the air cleaner. Can anyone give me an idea what this is for and what it is supposed to be connected to? The only other unconnected wires I could see were the two brown wires with female connector seen in the first photo and another red wire further to the left with a male bullet connector (not shown).

Thanks for any help.
Not real sure why you'd pull the gauge bezel to troubleshoot the interior dome light? :hmm:
The issue with the dome light 99% of the time is the stupid "pin" door switches, (I've even had brand new replacement ones fail before)!
The answer for that is to source dent era door switches, (you'll need the door end wiring harness(s) for the two switches too so a boneyard is the best place to start).

The wire at the breather is more than likely the 12VDC supply for electric choke, (unless you have the tube going from the choke down to the exhaust manifold). Does the wire always have power or only when your ignition is on?

This should help some:

And here's the color coded wiring chart:

Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4