Spark Plug Wires

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Ferris95

Spark Plug Wires

Post by Ferris95 »

Was wanting to see if anyone has found good wires that are for a 390, but have the male end for the distributor cap. I have the DUI distributor and cap, so I need male end wires on both ends. Would rather have ones pre built rather than cut and make my own as I always worry if I did it right and if one or more are causing problems. I was looking on Summit Racing at the:

MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Spark Plug Wire Sets 35383- $158

Ford Performance Parts Spark Plug Wire Sets M-12259-C460 - $52

Davis Unified Ignition LiveWires C9059BK - $139

I don’t need to spend that much, so am open to others. Would prefer black as I want to keep it stock looking. I assume black was what came on it in 1968? Along with a black distributor cap? Getting a new DUI cap and rotor and want to get the right color. The one on there now is blue, and it looks weird.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
68 F-250 Ranger Camper Special 390 FE
Retired Army
Wes
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Spark Plug Wires

Post by Wes »

Can't help with the wire experience, but you want wires with double "female" ends. the Cap is male and the spark plugs are male.

How does that dizzy work out for you, I went with Pertronix in the stock distributor. Starts and runs well
Wes

http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10402
67 F250 High boy
69 Bronco

If you can't see fit to stand behind Our Troops...Please stand in front of them :)
Ferris95

Post by Ferris95 »

Ah yes, thanks Wes! The DUI works great! Was there when I bought it. Hard part about finding wires online for the HEI cap is you don’t know what newer vehicle that needs female ends would be the same lengths to fit my older 390 engine that took male ends. Don’t want to have to buy and return as not as easy to return as Amazon is!
Retired Army
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

Years ago I had good luck with Taylor wires.
Ferris95

Post by Ferris95 »

Thinking about some Taylor wires. TAYLOR CABLE 83055 8.2MM THUNDERVOLT IGNITION WIRES UNIV 8 CYL 180 BLACK.

Or maybe these Moroso wires: IGNITION WIRE SET, ULTRA 40, UNSLEEVED, FORD 429-460, BLACK

Wish they made the original ones that are black with black distributor ends and that orangeish spark plug end boots that were for HEI distributor caps.
Retired Army