Bendix power steering to Ford manual gearbox?????

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

SoCal250

Bendix power steering to Ford manual gearbox?????

Post by SoCal250 »

Let me be the oddball here I've been reading up on a lot of threads I have a 69 f250 that came with the Bendix power steering box I finally found a thread on here that teaches you how to adjust it it was found in the 68 Ford shop manual and somebody was nice enough on this site to post it and I made photocopies of it.

The main thing is get rid of the Bendix power steering box put on a Ford power steering box and get a donor truck with the bracket to the firewall and also the steering column so you don't have to cut your own I understand all this.

For me personally what I would do to get out from under the Bendix box and the complication of adjusting it is get the Ford sag ignaw box and buy a new Steeler steering column from national parts Depot I believe it's made by idiot and it bolts right on and I would buy one that was made for the Ford gearbox problem solved.

Although I am very curious about this I hear a lot of people wanting to go with the problematic Bendix sloppy feel but I have power steering at least gearbox because they don't have to cut their steering column and it is a direct bolt on from a Ford manual gearbox.

Just for fun and laughter what if I took my Bendix power steering box off and installed a Ford manual gearbox from the same year as my truck with the matching pitman arm????? How easy of a swap would that be to do? Now I will add this I have already swapped out my power steering box for a used one that I found online and it was no better than the 50-year-old one that I've taken off so I've yet to do the three stage procedures of adjusting it that includes taking the pitman arm off and getting an inch pound gauge on the column nut of my steering wheel and rotating it back and forth 15th degrees to make sure I have two to four foot pounds.

I've driven cars with manual steering before because I grew up in the 70s yes it can be a pain parallel parking but who does that anymore? At least I don't and I don't think I would be doing too much from a complete stop turning my steering wheel locked to lock it's just a toy I take it out for fun drop it into second do a burnout around a corner etc etc what I'm looking for is more of a stable feel without the wandering and play that comes with the Bendix box so with all this being said with the Ford manual box with matching pitman arm be just a direct bolt on.
Mach428
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Bendix power steering to Ford manual gearbox?????

Post by Mach428 »

Let me know if you need a 1969 manual box with pitman arm attached. I removed mine from my 20,000 mile F250 to install power steering.