3rd speed blues

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

gjack3xxx

3rd speed blues

Post by gjack3xxx »

Hi my 67 3 speed 2wd truck keeps getting stuck in gear or stuck and shifting is not possible. In the past when this happened I was able to get under the hood and move linkage manually so that I could at least get going again.

Now its stuck in 1st gear and I will try to at least get it unstuck again for now. I have read some of the tech article and the repair for this looks like a job.

Looking for advice/suggestions. Is now the time to look for updated column and switch over to power steering ? How difficult is the repair for this ? Based on the article it looks pretty involved to try and fix the shifting mechanism. Is a later model 3sp a better setup or just same deal ?

The other though I had was going to another column and maybe going automatic trans, but not sure I want to tackle this.

Thanks !
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 3rd speed blues

Post by basketcase0302 »

=gjack3xxx
Hi my 67 3 speed 2wd truck keeps getting stuck in gear or stuck and shifting is not possible. In the past when this happened I was able to get under the hood and move linkage manually so that I could at least get going again.

Now its stuck in 1st gear and I will try to at least get it unstuck again for now. I have read some of the tech article and the repair for this looks like a job.

Looking for advice/suggestions. Is now the time to look for updated column and switch over to power steering ? How difficult is the repair for this ? Based on the article it looks pretty involved to try and fix the shifting mechanism. Is a later model 3sp a better setup or just same deal ?

The other though I had was going to another column and maybe going automatic trans, but not sure I want to tackle this.

Thanks !
Very first thing to look at is the health of the cab mounts, (especially the DS) as it's a well known cause for shifting issues.
Because the cowl area is left unattended-unmaintained, leaves tend to accumulate in the lower kick panel area rusting it out just like the cab mount areas.
Next area is the steering column that always causes shifter issues, (not to be a pacifist but the PS change is more expensive than repairing what you have when you consider cost of the column/PS box/steering arm/pump/pulleys/belts/etc.
Edit: if you can pull the column and inspect the hard parts shaft linkages etc. and they appear good the rebuild here would def be the route I'd take.

A floor shift 3 speed is def a quick "bandaid fix", (as if the cab mounts are rusted you'll soon start having Z-bar issues with the clutch linkage as well). :(
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4