68 F250 4X2 power steering conversion kit

General website and forum announcements

Moderator: FORDification

Ferris95

68 F250 4X2 power steering conversion kit

Post by Ferris95 »

Hello, I read the great post on converting my 68 F250 to power steering. What I want to know is there a new complete kit you can buy to make the conversion? Also, will it work if I have AC as the AC compressor is in the area the PS pump would go. Thanks for any info! And if not, I wondered if anyone in the Charleston, SC area knew a shop that I could take it to for the shaft shortening I’d need to use the Saginaw box?
68 F-250 Ranger Camper Special 390 FE
Retired Army
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: 68 F250 4X2 power steering conversion kit

Post by bluef250 »

Welcome to the site.

I did a quick search and came up with this:
https://www.autokrafters.com/power-stee ... 23589.aspx

I know nothing about the kit or company.

Generally, the PS pump is underneath the AC pump on the left (driver) side of the truck. Pulleys, brackets, and the pump (if not part of the kit) along with the hardware are needed. Pulling a cooler for the fluid would also be recommended.

If you have a pick-n-pull you could also get everything you need at one time.
Ferris95

Post by Ferris95 »

Thought I would update a little in what I am in search for. Thanks! Just wanting to know what the easier route is to go. I can deal with the leaking part as I have read of a couple seal kits that should stop that leaking.

Power Steering conversion
I have a 1968 F-250 with the 390, 3sp auto and manual steering. I am trying to understand the difference between choosing the Saginaw (ford) steering gear and the older Bendix gear.
If I want the bendix gear, do I have to do any welding or anything besides switching out the gear and getting all the hoses and brackets and pump and bolting them up? It’s my understating that it is just a direct bolt up.
However, if I get the better Saginaw gear, I will either have to get a whole new column, or have a 3 inch piece of mine cut out and then welded back together. I would prefer to do this all myself, but I do not have access to a welder. So I am leaning towards doing the Bendix steering gear. Any info on this would be great! And a place that has the Bendix gear package like the Saginaw package you can get at AutoKrafters. I see gears at Red Head Steering Gears and Indianapolis Rack and Axle. Then I would need all the brackets and hoses and pump. Can I use either pump with the Bendix gear? Also, is thee steering different between the to gears? Like is it sloppier with the bendix? I would prefer to feel steering more like a newer car/truck!
68 F-250 Ranger Camper Special 390 FE
Retired Army
SoCal250

Post by SoCal250 »

As far as I know on a Google search there is a company that does sell a conversion but it's like $1,300 bucks I don't really think that that be worth your while if you wanted to spend that kind of money I think it is basically just a Ford box with a short steering column or they give you a coupler to go in between.
For that price you can buy a brand new steering column off of the national parts Depot parts book that was meant for a Ford gearbox that has tilt and everything on it for 800 bucks.

Personally I do have power steering with the Bendix box I have a 69 f250 with power steering and it was a previous air conditioning truck but I took the air compressor off it had a flat brackets that intricated in between to hold the AC compressor in conjunction with the bracket to the power steering pump, but I don't know how much they would change those brackets from 68 to 69.

I will add that the problem that I've had with the Bendix box is the sloppy feeling the steering wheel I've never had any leaks with the original Bendix box that was on there and it was 50 years old there is a posting on here that has the procedure to do adjustments in the cab with the Bendix box there's three adjustments that must be made the very last one that you do is the upper lock nut with the Allen screw that is basically the only adjustment on on any other gearbox but not with the Bendix it's a procedure to adjust it that equals to a hassle if you don't know how to do it.

I commented on this thread because at times I think about changing mine over to a manual steering I read a lot of threads here about people wanting to change their manual power steering box over to a Bendix and it's it's a direct changeover I'm thinking man it might be a direct changeover for me to go from the Bendix power box to the Ford manual box.

In other words the problem with the Bendix box is there's not going to be a mechanic in the world that's going to know how to adjust that box when it starts to get play and slopping it the first thing that they do is say that you adjust the lock nut on top with the Allen screw and I actually argued the other day with the guy doing work on my truck cuz he said no that that's the only adjustment and I found it posted here it's actually in the 68 Ford truck manual on how to adjust that Bendix Box .

nobody knows how to do it it's a procedure that needs to be done exactly in order if not you'll screw it up so in other words the Bendix box will be an easy swap but it will have its disadvantages down the road if you're looking for a long-term swap you're better off to go with the ford box and find a donor truck with the original Ford column or bite the bullet and buy those nice original looking tilt steering columns for 800 bucks that they have on national parts Depot and Max Auto parts and all those other ones that sell a pick the one that had Ford gear box .
SoCal250

Post by SoCal250 »

I forgot to mention that I turned in my original Bendix power steering box because I found one online not from redhead it was another company and I think it's the one that you mentioned earlier it was 450 bucks rebuilt and I jumped on it although when I installed it it didn't feel any different than the original one that I had I also change the 50-year-old rag joint so I know it couldn't be any of that that was causing the play.

I have about 3,000 mi on all the components underneath the truck the drag link the tie rod ends everything's new or rebuilt so I really don't understand why I would have wandering polyurethane radius arm bushings everything is new I'm not blaming the box but I'm saying it didn't feel any better than my 50-year-old box I could have saved my 450 and just left that one on there unless like I mentioned earlier the company didn't adjust it and they just rebuilt it the thing about the Bendix is in the shop manual to adjust the Box you have to take the pitman arm off and you use an inch pound gauge on your steering column nut or as to other boxes the only adjustment you would have on top is just a lock nut in the Allen head screw.