Fuse Box

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

DisneysPatB
Preferred User
Preferred User

Fuse Box

Post by DisneysPatB »

Has anyone upgraded their fuse box with one of the 14 circuit ones? I see one on LMC that seems interesting......
1970 F250 460 C6 - Project - Currently not running.
1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4 x 4 5.9 Magnum -not running.
1999 Toyota Corolla - Daily Driver.

https://fordification.com/forum/app.php ... y/album/43
zgerbic

Re: Fuse Box

Post by zgerbic »

I think the one at LMC is the same as the Amazon one "Painless Performance 30001 Universal Pre-Wired 14-Circuit Fuse Block". You can get a much better view of the block on Amazon.

Seems like severe overkill for an old truck and really would only be useful if you are completely ripping out the old harness (nearly every wire) and manually putting in your own wiring. It has 19 connections and room for both flashers, though you may need to determine if the current flashers will fit. Also get a small cardboard box about the same size as this fuse block and see where you would mount it and how accessible it would be.

I would suggest you determine what you really need additional fuses for and how you will run new wires before picking a new fuse block. If adding something like driving/fog lights, I would put a relay and thermal fuse next to the starter solenoid.

When I first got my 69 F250, I removed the current fuse block and cleaned it out, then lightly sanded all the contacts for the fuses and connectors. Once clean and reinstalled, I have not had any problems with it. I had no problem adding aftermarket air conditioning and radio, front and rear dash cams and a handsfree for the phone. Outside of increasing one fuse by a couple of amps, no other changes were needed.

This is just my opinion but I also considered adding an additional eight fuse block or replacing the current fuse block altogether with an eight fuse block. After looking at what I would have when done, it just was not worth it. While electrical work in a vehicle is a no-brainer (really easy) for me, I could not see how it would really improve anything.

Regards
DisneysPatB
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Fuse Box

Post by DisneysPatB »

OK you answered my question 100%. I am doing relays for new headlights. I just wasn't sure if the upgrades with LED and stereo/USB required more juice or existing was good.
1970 F250 460 C6 - Project - Currently not running.
1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4 x 4 5.9 Magnum -not running.
1999 Toyota Corolla - Daily Driver.

https://fordification.com/forum/app.php ... y/album/43