hydraulic brake pressure tester

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

Bonham

hydraulic brake pressure tester

Post by Bonham »

Hello, I need to check the Hydraulic brake pressure throughout this old 1959 B600 school bus I inherited. I have to pump three times to get a solid pedal. It holds at that point but I dont feel safe. Need to see if its the master cylinder or HydroVac booster component or just air in line that I cant seem to get out.
Any recommendations on a kit that measures brake pressure? bleeders in back are 7/16 24, front are 3/8 24. I saw one on Amazon for 90$. I already purchased a gauge but struggling getting the interface connections. should have 966 PSI in to system.
thanks
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: hydraulic brake pressure tester

Post by basketcase0302 »

"Bonham"Hello, I need to check the Hydraulic brake pressure throughout this old 1959 B600 school bus I inherited. I have to pump three times to get a solid pedal. It holds at that point but I dont feel safe. Need to see if its the master cylinder or HydroVac booster component or just air in line that I cant seem to get out.
Any recommendations on a kit that measures brake pressure? bleeders in back are 7/16 24, front are 3/8 24. I saw one on Amazon for 90$. I already purchased a gauge but struggling getting the interface connections. should have 966 PSI in to system.
thanks
99% of us here have never owned such a tool, (be advised that brake pressure is like hydraulic pressure and dangerous to play with) coming from a USN Machinist mate who worked with 4K pound hydraulics on a nuke sub. :2cents:

Your usually gonna find a wet spot where the fluid is leaking, (or you've got air in the system and need to do a good bleed on it).
Look into a Mityvac tool to properly bleed if you don't have a 2nd set of hands to help you, (always been my case).
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Bonham

Post by Bonham »

Thanks for the tips. Ill see what I can come up with.
fastEdsel
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by fastEdsel »

Try this site, on there it shows a schematic of the hydrovac and a detailed account of how to bleed these systems. Ford-Trucks.com :thup:
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

I have a 71 F-500 with a front/rear master cylinder an the vac booster under the cab. If the truck sits for a prolonged period of time fluid will bleed out of the master and the pedal will go to the floor, like the MC is bypassing. I assume the fluid goes into the vac booster (both have been replaced) and leaks out of the truck. There is no leakage at the eight wheel cylinders, all were replaced, nor any evidence at the booster. Once I refill the booster, I'll cycle the pedal a few times, and in an hour, I have full brakes again with no pumping the MC up.

Been like that for fifteen years. Full brake rebuild 18 months ago to the tune of $1400. I'm not equipped to lift such a beast off the ground, so I found an independent heavy truck mechanic--did the work in about a week. The mechanics traded off working on it, as they liked it so much. "So easy to work on!"
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.
1972hiboy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1972hiboy »

[quote="Bonham"]Hello, I need to check the Hydraulic brake pressure throughout this old 1959 B600 school bus I inherited. I have to pump three times to get a solid pedal. It holds at that point but I dont feel safe. Need to see if its the master cylinder or HydroVac booster component or just air in line that I cant seem to get out.
thanks[/quot

If this is something that has been sitting for a good long while I would plan on replacing wheel cylinders. If they are stuck you could still get a hard pedal but have reduced braking affect. then re-bleed and retest.
Rich
1973 f350 super c/s 460/c6 22k orig miles
1972 f350 srw crewcab special 390
1972 f250 4x4 sport custom 390fe Red
1972 f250 4x4 custom 360 FE " Ranger Ric"
1972 f250 4x4 custom 84k og miles 390
1971 f250 4x4 sport custom 56k og miles. 360
1970 f250 4x4 428 fe hp60 205 d60
Dont eat yellow snow.....
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

"If this is something that has been sitting for a good long while I would plan on replacing wheel cylinders. If they are stuck you could still get a hard pedal but have reduced braking affect. then re-bleed and retest."

Exactly right. I had a good hard pedal on a '37 Packard that had been sitting for a decade inside a conditioned storage facility. When I pulled the brakes apart, I had 2 pistons out of the eight in the wheel cylinders that moved. The rest were seized and all the cylinders had fluid in addition to crystallized fluid, rust, and water.

Cylinders are cheap. Lawsuits and hospitals, not so much.
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.