Dual Steering Stabilizer

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

Big Blue 72

Dual Steering Stabilizer

Post by Big Blue 72 »

Does anyone have a DUAL steering stabilizer on their truck? I'm dealing with a slight drift problem when I hit bumps/dips in the road. I have a single stabilizer which is pretty worn and a friend recommended switching to a dual stabilizer. Just wondering if anyone has some input whether it's worth it.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Dual Steering Stabilizer

Post by basketcase0302 »

I ran one on my 76' early Bronco.
While it did help slightly, (I had 38" tires on it so almost ANY weak/worn part always exaggerated the problem) you'll find the same I'm sure.
Find any worn bushings/bearings and try to tackle them when able, (but def use a double stabilizer to try to calm front end issues if the repairs are major like king pins or radius arm bushings).
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Raiver

Post by Raiver »

basketcase0302 wrote:I ran one on my 76' early Bronco.
While it did help slightly, (I had 38" tires on it so almost ANY weak/worn part always exaggerated the problem) you'll find the same I'm sure.
Find any worn bushings/bearings and try to tackle them when able, (but def use a double stabilizer to try to calm front end issues if the repairs are major like king pins or radius arm bushings).
My buddy recently acquired this Bronco project and he's looking to get a dual steering stabilizer as well. Gonna take a look at the bushings and bearing first. Got to finish installing the bumper and g2 axle & gear plus tire alignment on the truck this weekend before we can start working on the Bronco.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

I ran the 38's on my EB on the road for 6 years, (have pics but refuse to pay for fotobomb storage or I'd link).
Ran the running gear another12 years as a South Florida swamp buggy.
Man...what I'd give to own another one! :bow:

Forgot to ask...does your truck have power steering?
The dual stabilizer does add some "resistance" to your steering, (especially at a stop or slow speeds). You'll def feel a difference in how easily it is to turn the steering wheel, (but well worth the investment in safety IMO) .
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4