borgenson steering coupler

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

CobrajetF-250428

borgenson steering coupler

Post by CobrajetF-250428 »

Hi guys....looking for advice in replacing a steering rag joint with a borgenson u-joint steering coupler on my 70 F-250 2wd. I'm assuming my application calls for a 3/4x3/4 36 spline dd unit. Thought I would reach out to anybody that has done this and to set me straight on anything I may have wrong and or missing....thanks Bob
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: borgenson steering coupler

Post by basketcase0302 »

="CobrajetF-250428"Hi guys....looking for advice in replacing a steering rag joint with a borgenson u-joint steering coupler on my 70 F-250 2wd. I'm assuming my application calls for a 3/4x3/4 36 spline dd unit. Thought I would reach out to anybody that has done this and to set me straight on anything I may have wrong and or missing....thanks Bob
One thing to ponder is the fact that our cabs are mounted on rubber bushings that provide flex between the frame and cab, (the same purpose the rag joint does). You might do damage to the PS box input shaft seal (over time-you'd probably never see instant damage) due to taking the built in flex out of the design. :2cents:

I added the same U-joint to my early Bronco when I added 10" of lift, (but was able to leave the rag joint in that equation. :wink:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4