QA1 Suspension...Repair Frame or Replace?

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

jgf100

QA1 Suspension...Repair Frame or Replace?

Post by jgf100 »

Hi All,

My stock '70 f100 has some front end damage from an accident. I've replaced most of the front clip, but the biggest issue is the fame rails up front got bent from the accident. Nothing too major, but its there. I figured it would be a good idea to replace suspension at this time, do some body work and such. My question is... should I repair/straighten the front frame rails, or should I buy a used frame that is pretty straight?

Thanks!
For reference, here are pics of the bent frame...
20200219_182606.jpg
20200219_182650.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'70 F100, 302 C4
DuckRyder

Re: QA1 Suspension...Repair Frame or Replace?

Post by DuckRyder »

Based on what i can see in those pictures thats an easy fix for a frame shop, i would fix it as any replacement frame that isn't new is likely to be as bad.

RE: Your title - QA1 is a company that makes replacement front and rear suspension for Bumps and other vehicles, is that what we are talking about?
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
jgf100

Post by jgf100 »

DuckRyder wrote:Based on what i can see in those pictures thats an easy fix for a frame shop, i would fix it as any replacement frame that isn't new is likely to be as bad.

RE: Your title - QA1 is a company that makes replacement front and rear suspension for Bumps and other vehicles, is that what we are talking about?
Yes, I'd like to change the suspension into something that I can drive comfortably. The QA1 suspension looks to be direct bolt on, which is the reason I'm considering them, pricey but convenient.

Has anyone here installed these suspension systems? I'd be interested in knowing how difficult it is.
'70 F100, 302 C4
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

="jgf100"]
DuckRyder wrote:Based on what i can see in those pictures thats an easy fix for a frame shop, i would fix it as any replacement frame that isn't new is likely to be as bad.

Yes, I'd like to change the suspension into something that I can drive comfortably. The QA1 suspension looks to be direct bolt on, which is the reason I'm considering them, pricey but convenient.

Has anyone here installed these suspension systems? I'd be interested in knowing how difficult it is.
As much as I hate to recommend off site resources it's almost a necessity here as we've not seen too many QA1 trucks here.
If you go over to FAKEBOOK search for the "Fixen your way" and Fordification pages.
I remember a guy in the Atlanta area that ran one of the very first QA1 prototype front and rear suspension in Autocross application that has a lot of experience in them. :thup:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

That's a half-a-day long effort for a frame shop. Easy peasy.
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.