Part # help - 2 post water temp sending unit

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Jsimon

Part # help - 2 post water temp sending unit

Post by Jsimon »

The water temp sending unit from my 72 f250 4x4 360 2bbl had two posts (and I broke one off) the intake I replaced it with (65 390 tbird 4bbl cast) had a single post. My wiring is set up for two terminals. I can't seem to find a replacement with two posts. Went to napa and they didn't have any in the books. The wires going to the two post connector are red/white stripe and white/black stripe. Any ideas on a replacement # for 2post water temp sending unit or how to adapt my 2 wire to 1 would be appreciated. See photos
20210728_174144_compress1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1972 f250 4x4 390 4speed
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Part # help - 2 post water temp sending unit

Post by basketcase0302 »

Never ceases to amaze me how many different wiring configurations we still come across that are not "cookie cutter" (factory OEM "normal)! :eek:

Here the 72' shows the red with white wire #39 (20) powering the sending unit, (keeping in mind a one wire sending unit simply gets it "ground" from the body of the unit itself. Keep in mind that I'd had issues with one wire sending unit before due to using teflon tape, (it has to ground and make sure your ground strap from the firewall to the intake is intact).

Edit: You should be able to run a one wire using the red with white to the temp sending unit.

And here's the 72' connector legend to reference:

Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Jsimon

Post by Jsimon »

Much appreciated!! And that chart of connections will be very useful. My blue tape and sharpie labels on wires are pretty hard to read 2 years later :D
1972 f250 4x4 390 4speed
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

YW and once again it blows my mind the "oddball" factory OEM wiring we find in our trucks. I do remember Keith saying once he documented factory workers claim that if they ran out of a particular wire color on a shift they'd just throw in whatever oddball color they had close by to make it through the shift! :eek:

Here's one more that might help, (factory Ford OEM wire colors typically used):

Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4