What are these unused wires?

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

Terry Veiga

What are these unused wires?

Post by Terry Veiga »

Hello,

The PO installed a later model steering column in my '72 and instead of repurposing the OEM harness connectors, the wires were cut and spliced. Unfortunately, a few of the electrics don't work and/or were left unconnected (e.g., neutral safety switch, wiper washer, reverse lights, etc.), and as I troubleshoot things I'm hoping someone can shed some light on the following pics—thanks!:

btw, I've perused the awesome wiring schematics here at the site and have a laminated color schematic from ClassicCarWiring.com; however, I'm still in the dark when it comes to electricals.

3-port female connector; one port is unused and the black wire w/ inline fuse holder is cut and unattached
dash harness-1.jpg
These last two pics are also in the same main loom:
dash harness-2.JPG
dash harness-3.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Terry Veiga on Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TERRY : 1972 F100 Ranger XLT SWB
2WD, 429/C6, A/C, P/S, P/Disc
In His Holy Name
Terry Veiga

Re: What are these unused wires?

Post by Terry Veiga »

ADDENDUM:

These two unused wires are in the engine bay:
Engine-wire-1.JPG
Engine wire-2.JPG
These two unused wires are in the driver-side rear frame close to the bumper
tail light harness-2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In His Holy Name
zgerbic

Post by zgerbic »

I will take a guess at these.

First set of pictures:
The Brown x 2 looks like it is wire #285. 285A probably plugs into it.
Black-green is #297 (from accessories on ign switch).
Black w/fuse connector should be 297B which goes through a 5A fuse to the radio.
Orange-white powers the windshield wipers as wire #763.
Green-yellow x 2 could green-white. If so that is wire #3 and wire #50 to the turn signal switch.
See if the orange wire is orange with yellow. If so that is wire #8 from the turn signal flasher.
Blue-yellow could be white-blue #49 to turn signal switch.

Second set of pictures:

Engine bay firewall:
Orange not sure what this is. Could it be a faded red color. If not it is probably #286 for one of the fuel level sensors.
Red may be #933
Blue may be #932B for the throttle solenoid.

Rear tail light loom (probably for trailer light connection):
Brown is probably 285A for stop lights.
Black-red is #140 for #140A for backup lights.
I would suspect there would be a parking light connection as well.

Many of these can be verified with a voltmeter or 12V test light. See what powers them up.
Terry Veiga

Post by Terry Veiga »

Thanks a lot for taking the time to sort through this, zgerbic; your circuit number approach is a lot simpler than my futile attempts trying to reference wires by simultaneously comparing three different schematics. :hmm:

Early on, I cleaned grounds/contacts, eliminated most add-on wires, redid some crimps, installed new fuses, bulbs, switches, and relays, then tested things with a test light and multimeter as best I knew how. But, there were simply too many cut/spliced and unused wires that left me guessing or chasing my tail—which brought me to this very discussion here.

My ultimate plan is to reinstall the factory dash connectors then purchase a new, plug-n-play tilt column (Ididit); however, I first want to sort through the issues before introducing yet another layer of complexity. Oh, and I also scored an F600 dash w/ factory harness a few weeks ago and that will go in once I get my electrics back to ground zero. :thup:

So, I looked through the various wiring schematics and I'm assuming that this is the chart you used...??

QUESTIONS:

Black-green #297 (labeled "3x Female" in my pic):
Are all three of these ports usually connected from the factory? If so, which three wires should be reconnected? Or, is it okay to simply use the ports for any "Ignition On" accessory as needed?

Brown x 2 #285 female connector:
There isn't another unused brown wire (#285A) under the dash; so, I'll have to do some more sleuthing on this one...

Green-yellow x 2:
Yes, the stripe is definitely yellow and not white. My chart only has one G-Y wire: "#54 - Fuse to Courtesy Lamp Switch" However, my cab and gauge cluster lights all work, so I have no idea what this lamp switch is unless there was an option to have a courtesy light in the footwell, engine bay, glovebox, cargo or ??

Orange under the dash:
Yes, this wire is definitely a single, solid color with no white stripe. Orange on my chart is #35 - Alternator Regulator "F" Terminal to Alternator. Exactly what is an "Alternator Regulator "F" Terminal to Alternator"? Is it possible that this bullet connector plugs into the extra port on Black-green #297 (labeled "3x Female" in my pic)?

Blue-yellow:
Yes, this wire is definitely B-Y. My chart lists B-Y as #482 - Horn Switch to Horns. If this actually is the horn wire, is it an accurate test to ground this wire to activate the horns? Does the ignition have to be on for the horns to work?

Orange in the engine bay:
I don't see #286 on my chart. The only Orange listed is #35 as already mentioned above...

Red in the engine bay:
I don't see #933 on my chart, BUT there is a Red on the chart as #284A-B-C - Battery Feed to Stop Lamp Switch. And since my brake lights have not worked correctly from the get go, I'm hoping this wire may have something to do with it??

Blue in the engine bay:
I don't see #932 on my chart, however, is "throttle solenoid" the same thing as an "electric choke"?

Trailer Lights
So, did the factory actually provide auxiliary wires to connect to trailers? Cool if they did...
In His Holy Name
zgerbic

Post by zgerbic »

[zgerbic] Sure would be easier if the truck was in front of me. There are a few options and models that make it a bit hard to determine what some of these wires are.

>So, I looked through the various wiring schematics and I'm assuming that this is the chart you used...??
Must have missed that chart.

[zgerbic] I have/had done a lot of work on foreign cars in the past, especially VWs, and learned there was generally a wiring number sequence repeated through the years for most car companies and across some suppliers. So I figured that was a good process to start with. Sometimes it is easier to look at an earlier, less complicated or better documented, schematic to find things.

[zgerbic] I used that really wide 1972 truck schematic (note the column numbers at the bottom of the schematic) and several others from 1969 to 1971. I have chased some wiring in my 69 F250 recently so recognized some of the pictures. Basically I would look at the wire colors and location. I would then look at other schematics to see what it could be and then referenced the 1972 schematic to see if the guess made sense. I used color codes on other schematics to find possible wire numbers.

>QUESTIONS:

>Black-green #297 (labeled "3x Female" in my pic):
>Are all three of these ports usually connected from the factory?
[zgerbic] I think there is generally one or two plugged in, for example the optional radio would plug in here.

>If so, which three wires should be reconnected? Or, is it okay to simply use the ports for any "Ignition On" accessory as needed?
[zgerbic] There are two now and not sure if there is something optional for the truck that was plugged in the third. If not you can use it for any other accessory, as long as it does not draw more current than this connector is fused for.

>Brown x 2 #285 female connector:
>There isn't another unused brown wire (#285A) under the dash; so, I'll have to do some more sleuthing on this one...
[zgerbic] That connector is for optional marker/parking lights. I don't have them on my Ranger but that connector is there. I think one of the brown wires is #285 and the other is for the factory parking lights and is actually #285A. Both wires meet at the back of the connector. I suspect the female end would go to a marker light option of some sort. In the 72 wide diagram, you will find a lot of the 285, 285A and 984 wiring around columns 55 to 60.

>Green-yellow x 2:
>Yes, the stripe is definitely yellow and not white. My chart only has one G-Y wire: "#54 - Fuse to Courtesy Lamp Switch" However, my cab and gauge cluster lights all work, so I have no idea what this lamp switch is unless there was an option to have a courtesy light in the footwell, engine bay, glovebox, cargo or ??
[zgerbic] #54 does go to courtesy lights and also to the cargo light switch > cargo lights. This can be found at column 53.

>Orange under the dash:
>Yes, this wire is definitely a single, solid color with no white stripe. Orange on my chart is #35 - Alternator Regulator "F" Terminal to Alternator. Exactly what is an "Alternator Regulator "F" Terminal to Alternator"? Is it possible that this bullet connector plugs into the extra port on Black-green #297 (labeled "3x Female" in my pic)?
[zgerbic] The field terminal is only between the regulator and the alternator so cannot be the one under the dash. I am wondering if the orange wire under the dash is connected to the orange wire by the master cylinder. If so this would go to the aux fuel sending unit. I am a bit stumped on this one.

>Blue-yellow:
>Yes, this wire is definitely B-Y. My chart lists B-Y as #482 - Horn Switch to Horns. If this actually is the horn wire, is it an accurate test to ground this wire to activate the horns? Does the ignition have to be on for the horns to work?
[zgerbic]

>Orange in the engine bay:
>I don't see #286 on my chart. The only Orange listed is #35 as already mentioned above...
[zgerbic] #35/orange is the field terminal that runs between the alternator and regulator, but would be on the other side of the engine compartment and not go to the firewall. Can't be #35. #286 can be seen in column 42 of the schematic. It seems to be related to the aux fuel tank sender.

>Red in the engine bay:
>I don't see #933 on my chart, BUT there is a Red on the chart as #284A-B-C - Battery Feed to Stop Lamp Switch. And since my brake lights have not worked correctly from the get go, I'm hoping this wire may have something to do with it??
[zgerbic] Look at columns 13 and 14 to see where the blue (solenoid) and red (short 933) wiring meets. This is probably what you are looking at.

>Blue in the engine bay:
>I don't see #932 on my chart, however, is "throttle solenoid" the same thing as an "electric choke"?
[zgerbic] No. It has mainly been used on 6 cylinder engines. It is adjusted to set the idle speed. It holds the throttle open slightly when the engine is running (when solenoid is powered).

>Trailer Lights
>So, did the factory actually provide auxiliary wires to connect to trailers? Cool if they did...
[zgerbic] I think they do. If you look around the 60s columns on the schematic, you will see different setups for different models (81, 99). Check the other side of the truck for more connectors. I don't remember but there should be three back there if you have wiring to go to a trailer.

I hope this gets you closer.
DisneysPatB
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by DisneysPatB »

1970 F250 460 C6 - Project - Currently not running.
1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4 x 4 5.9 Magnum -not running.
1999 Toyota Corolla - Daily Driver.

https://fordification.com/forum/app.php ... y/album/43
Terry Veiga

Post by Terry Veiga »

Thanks zgerbic, you’ve been a huge help clarifying things and steering me in the right direction.

DisneysPatB, those schematics are awesome, especially the color-sorted version; a copy of that is going in my Ford manual—thanks!
In His Holy Name