Header recommendation 1970 F250 camper 460 swap

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

mnlamont

Header recommendation 1970 F250 camper 460 swap

Post by mnlamont »

Hey everyone, thanks in advance for any advice you can offer! I am trying to figure out header options for my 1970 F250 camper special. The previous owner had swapped out a 460 into it. I recently rebuilt my C6 auto, and the way the exhaust is now, the two pipes come together right near the transmission pan by the pressure outlet on the trans. Makes me wonder how much these things are actually heating up the transmission fluid before it even exits. This year obviously didn’t have a 460 option, so I’m trying to see if there’s anyone out there in my same situation with a 1970 camper, with a 460 in it who has successfully put in headers. I appreciate any advice regarding specific make/model, as well as shorty/mid/long tube headers. I know it could be a nightmare fitting these things, so I would rather try and do it without having to buy a bunch of different ones only to have to send them back or hack them all up to fit.

FYI this truck will just be mostly for street use, maybe a little towing like a boat or something. Probably build it out to around 450 HP. Have put in a straight up timing set, new water pump, has 410 gears in the back. In addition to the headers, I plan on putting in the usual, i.e. performer intake, re-curved ignition, 750 carb, ported/polished heads, mild cam, etc...

Thanks again!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cash667

Re: Header recommendation 1970 F250 camper 460 swap

Post by cash667 »

Hi!
Take a look in my build Thread, pages 4 and 5.

http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 9&start=45

There are a couple of pics from my 460 in a 68 2wd frame with Hedman longtube headers (89140).
They fit with very little modification (just need to punch a dent in one of the passenger side tubes to clear the frame when the engine is shaking)
But I have a manual and not an automatic transmission. Don’t know if that makes a big difference...
I ran flexpipes directly after the headers and then did a crossover from the drivers side exhaust to run the dual exhaust setup on the passenger side. (to clear the CS aux tank on drivers side)
The Crossover is directly in front of the transmission crossmember, but I think you can route it back to in behind of the crossmember.

Hope that helps
Chris
1968 Mercury Cougar 302
1968 Ford F250 Camper Special 429