'68 New Fender Choice

Moderator: FORDification

tg11350

'68 New Fender Choice

Post by tg11350 »

Work is progressing on my '68 F-250 CS. I'm currently working on the fenders. I was able able to fab the bracing on the RH fender with some bending, some extensive fab, and MIG welding. So a media blast, a little body filler here and there and I'll have a fully restored fender. The LH fender is a different story as both the rear and the front of the fender have significant rust, so much so that a decent restore with fab, weld, and filler won't work. I decided to buy a replacement fender. The usual suspects; NPD, LMC, Mac's etc are selling fenders for $160-$175 and these are shipped from off shore. Ebay sellers are selling fenders upwards of $215-$270. One seller is close to $300. Big difference. Anyone out there have any experience on a fender purchase that compares with an OE fender; or any body panel for that matter? When I get done with the fenders, I'll be moving back thru the cab then the bed, so I'll need some good steel as I move forward.

As Usual I appreciate your feedback,

Tony
two-bit
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: '68 New Fender Choice

Post by two-bit »

I don't do body work, have no patience for it.
Thats were my buddy Dalton comes in. He is a god damn whiz with body work !
All i have heard from him is how poorly the off shore panels fit, and how crappy the steel is in them.

I brought him front fenders for my '60 Willys pick-up and he was in heaven. He said the steel was so thick he could do anything to reshape it and it didn't hurt it. The rust repair was super easy cause he cut out patch steel and the parent was thicker than the patch. He told me they were a pleasure to work with and bring him old steel at any time.

So, with what i know from him. Look around for some old fenders to work with.
BTW: where are you located ?
Two-bit
Living life full throttle on the North Coast of America!!!

72' F-350, DRW, 360, NP435, Dana 70, 159" WB, P.S., P.B., 12' flatbed, 10,000 GVW.
67mann
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: '68 New Fender Choice

Post by 67mann »

:yt: definitely look for an original... $$$ and aggravation saved in the long run. Search around a little bit... there was a guy on the facebook Fordification that had a lot of steel parts and I don't know if they still do but, greyhound is a lot cheaper than freight for shipping
I've had enough and I'm not alone
http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii304/67mann/