04 Subaru Outback (daily driver), with a 2.5l boxer H4
(no other projects, YET!)
"Might be crazy but I ain't dumb"!
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: started my tank swap

Post by basketcase0302 »

Wish this post were made a "sticky" or tutorial on how to PROPERLY add an additional tank to our bumps. :wink:

Still scratching my head on how/why anyone would throw a Stang tank in our bumps making the entire rear bed area useless, (the only place they can put the filler neck in the bed floor)! :eek:

Keep up the good work and thanks for posting the images for us all to use! :thup:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
emeraldcoupe

Post by emeraldcoupe »

didn't forget about this. i wound up with covid, kicked my ass, but i'm better now. i'll get back on it hopefully next week.
emeraldcoupe

Post by emeraldcoupe »

Ok guys, I haven't forgotten about this. Just haven't had any time to work on the truck. I got out there for a few minutes today, started modifying the ranger fill tube. I split the large dia tube in half, it's the vent. Left the small dia fill tube alone, just had to turn it 180° on the neck. I'll join the halves together with a small piece of 2" dia exhaust tube.

also had to remove the brace that went from the fender to the bed floor, i'll weld it back in after i'm finished.

Like I said, not a lot done, but here's a couple pictures to give you an idea

Last edited by emeraldcoupe on Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
emeraldcoupe

Post by emeraldcoupe »

i could probably got away with not cutting the hose if i notched the frame where it passes to the tank, but i just didn't want to cut on the frame. this way allows me to attach the hose to the tank then slide it through and connect back together. is it the right way? who knows, but that's how i'm doing it, lol.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Looking good, and I'd have done it the same way. :thup:
Jeff
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

Good call on the Ranger door. I've been thinking about using one of those since I started working on the truck two years ago. Helps that I might have a few Ranger beds sitting around. I haven't setteled on the BII tank but leaning that way, other option is something shallower from Tanks INC, but not a Mustang tank. I think I recall an early Chevy tank having side fill and dimensions that would fit good as well, I'm thinking mid 50s chevy car. Only 15 or so gallons, but shallower than the BII tank.

Got an 80s Ranger getting lowered and a 5.0 swap (if I ever start back working on it), it'll probably be getting the chevy tank tank behind the axle and fuel door relocated to match. The F-100 will probably get the BII tank and same door since I've got two more beds to work with. One is a twisted mess, but that part is good. The other will probably become a trailer to match the lowered Ranger and it won't need a fill door either. .
1968 F-100 4x4 long bed - 360 FE - NP435 w/ Dana 21 - PS & PB conversion - Front Disc Swap - 265/75R16 - 1" S.L. & 2" B.L. (to be removed) - Homemade tube bumpers - Warn 8274 - Currently wearing 1970 body
emeraldcoupe

Post by emeraldcoupe »

i'm still alive, been a rough few months. anyway, i had to also notch the bed support to clear the fuel lines / pump harness. i did cut a little too much, i measured once instead of twice :) . your results may vary.

Fordkid68
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Fordkid68 »

It's coming along great! Glad to hear your still making progress.
Adam

My first truck,
1968 F100 lwb 2wd soon to have a 351w, 5-speed
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 15#p771357
^^Build Thread^^
04 Subaru Outback (daily driver), with a 2.5l boxer H4
(no other projects, YET!)
"Might be crazy but I ain't dumb"!
emeraldcoupe

Post by emeraldcoupe »

Thanks. I haven't given up, just been a pretty crappy few months. I just need to finish the bodywork on the fuel door and final mount the tank.
emeraldcoupe

Post by emeraldcoupe »

i bet you guys thought i gave up. i'll be back on the truck to finish the tank up this week. i've had some serious health issues that i'm finally over. post covid really kicked my ass, bad. anyway, just wanted to post an update.
Terry Veiga

Post by Terry Veiga »

Glad to hear you're feeling better and back at the fun stuff. Enjoy and take care!
TERRY : 1972 F100 Ranger XLT SWB
2WD, 429/C6, A/C, P/S, P/Disc
In His Holy Name
emeraldcoupe

Post by emeraldcoupe »

Terry Veiga wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:24 am Glad to hear you're feeling better and back at the fun stuff. Enjoy and take care!
thnaks, i appreciate that.
emeraldcoupe

Post by emeraldcoupe »

ok, tank is in. this was the first time i've done this, and i'd do a couple things different next time.
first, i'd put a small notch in the frame for the filler tube. not totally necessary, but would make installation a little easier. second is i'd raise the filler in the bedside at least an inch, that would give it a more downward angle to the tank. other than that , i'm happy the way it turned out. all i need to do is hook up the sender , fuel pump, and ground wire and it's 100% complete. the tank has 15" of ground clearance, more than enough.
**i did away with the top straps that are in the earlier pictures, i realized they really weren't needed.**
Last edited by emeraldcoupe on Wed May 25, 2022 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Looks good like the ground clearance.
How many gallons was this tank again?
I'd guess you have at least 8 gallons more than the typical Stang tank guys throw in making the back bed area useless. :thup:
Def my route on my next bump. :wink:
Jeff
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4