Auxilary Tank Mounting - any pics

Moderator: FORDification

yellercat

Auxilary Tank Mounting - any pics

Post by yellercat »

Have decided to Re Mount the auxilary or midship fuel tank on the 69' Camper Special, or 3/4 ton truck, (restoration project).
Problem is that the truck came to me in parts and the tank was not mounted. The 'shield' or guard for the tank was included and this is where some of my questions about the proper mounting begin.
Some pics of an original, mounted tank or schematic diagrams would be very helpful at this stage.
Don't know whether these two major components mount 'as one' or together simultaneously; or whether the tank goes in alone and then the shield follows?
Also unsure how many straps are used to suspend the tank, (if thats how it works)?
I do know that the front angle brace for the 'shield' is misplaced, so will have to fabricate one or find a used somewhere. May also be missing a strap, unless some other (bracket) is used in its place.
Have most of the rest of it figured out; tank is good and the rest is still serviceable.
If anyone has or can direct me to some explainatary photos, it would be a major benefit. Don't see any in our archives here, yet.
Of course, any directions that might clue me in are also helpful. :thup:
Thanks for any assistance and :fr:
1970 F100 302 C-4 factory air
67mann
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Auxilary Tank Mounting - any pics

Post by 67mann »

I've had enough and I'm not alone
http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii304/67mann/
yellercat

Post by yellercat »

67Man, Like it !
Yours looks really good. Appreciate your reply and pics of your ride.
Also thanks for the site's link to the pics that I could not find :hmm: I'll have to try harder next time.
Looks like I am missing the rear strap in addition to that front shield angle brace.
Good to know that the two items also mount indepenently.
Got brakes lines to inspect and R&R and then ready to mount the tank and shield up. They do block the view when in place I suspect.
Thanks again for the assist.
yellercat

Post by yellercat »

67Mann, do you happen to remember, or can you tell me a quick way to tell the front tank support strap from the rear.
I have one of them but not sure which one it is. It looks as though it could work in either position and prefer to have it in its proper place. :lol:
Also, there is a straight piece of support type material as a part that is about 14" long that I suspect may be a part used in this system, any guesses on what its function may be?? It is not one of the wider shield hanging supports as I have those placed properly as shown in the photos. Appreciate your reply as it surely put me on the right track. :D
67mann
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 67mann »

:oops: :oops: Sorry for such a late reply.... I've been on a lot and never came back to this :doh:
Is this the pc.
2021-03-06 15.20.54 (800 x 1067).jpg
20210207_153938 (800 x 1067).jpg
If it's not this pc. I not sure what you have.

My back strap connects to a "L" clip on the frame and up to where you can see it in the picture. Stationary but, adjustable. The front strap is attached to the frame with a bolt and has an carriage bolt that attaches up into the crossmember. It is removable as it slides into place.

You probably have this all figured out by now :doh: Again I apologize for leaving you hanging
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Johnnewc

Post by Johnnewc »

I'll be following along too. I plan on re-adding my aux tank to my 69 F100 but I really don't have anything for it. I found a tank online that will work. I'm just looking for a solution for straps. Are you going to paint your tank with a bed liner paint or something similar? I plan on it to keep the rust out. I don't have a skid plate and probably never will since it looks like a rust collection area to me. Keep us updated!
67mann
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 67mann »

So here are some better pic's of the mounting straps :wink:
Front one
front strap.jpg
front conect.jpg
And the back
back strap.jpg
Hope this helps Anybody thinking of going this way :thup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
asrfixer

Post by asrfixer »

Hi, folks. I am now working on installing a new aux tank under my 1967 camper special. A P.O. apparently removed them. This has been an enlightening thread! One thing I am missing is/are the skid plate(s). can anyone supply the specs on whatever skid plating is supposed to be attached, drawings with dimensions so I can fab them.
thanks in advance.
1967 F250 Camper Special
.060 overbored 400 w/ 4BBL, mild cam, assault racing ready to run ignition.
C6 w/towing kit
'79 F250 front disc & power brakes conversion.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

This image shows the straps, (I don't see the skid plate there though) thought it might help as I didn't see it posted above.

Oops then two links down I found the skid plate, (but no measurements sorry).

Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4