In-Bed Spare Tire

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

johnnyshaner

In-Bed Spare Tire

Post by johnnyshaner »

In order to keep the forum going, I thought I would occasionally post things that folks might find of interest. So, I've attached a couple of photos of the in-bed spare tire mount that I recently installed on my '68 Highboy. I had to buy a 7 inch carriage bolt because the included one wasn't long enough and I had to run a tap through the threaded holes to clear the powder coating out. Other than that, I drilled two holes in the bed and I was done. Pretty easy.

Here's the link to the mount I used: https://www.amazon.com/Rigid-Hitch-Spar ... ive&sr=1-2.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: In-Bed Spare Tire

Post by jzjames »

johnnyshaner wrote:In order to keep the forum going, I thought I would occasionally post things that folks might find of interest.
Good idea!
Good job on the tire mount. Must be a working truck :thup:
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

I did something similar but mounted it forward on the drivers' side where it won't block my view.
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.
johnnyshaner

Post by johnnyshaner »

tsherry wrote:I did something similar but mounted it forward on the drivers' side where it won't block my view.
That makes the most sense. I like this look a bit better though. :D
Fordkid68
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Fordkid68 »

Looks cool, great idea! I might do something like this on my truck also, or possibly make a holder underneath.
Adam

My first truck,
1968 F100 lwb 2wd soon to have a 351w, 5-speed
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 15#p771357
^^Build Thread^^
04 Subaru Outback (daily driver), with a 2.5l boxer H4
(no other projects, YET!)
"Might be crazy but I ain't dumb"!
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Sweet job.
Somewhere here on the forum is a "junkyard wish list" that has the OEM Ford in bed spare tire carrier, (it was a rare item). :wink:
You'll find mention of it in the Factory literature below, (but it was mounted on the DS in the bed I believe). :hmm:

https://fordification.com/library/
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
johnnyshaner

Post by johnnyshaner »

Yep, I looked a very long time for the factory mount with no luck. And yep, they were mostly mounted behind the cab on the driver's side.

I'm not a huge fan of the under the bed factory mounting system. I think it's pretty sketchy to actually use, so the in bed mounting system is a good compromise for me. I haven't lost a lot of bed space and the sight line issue isn't a big deal, especially since I'm usually in the right lane when I'm moseying down the road.

Not my truck, but I had to help deal with a flat with a truck loaded up with firewood. The spare was located in the bed behind the driver's side. It was not an easy thing to get to.
91Bear
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 91Bear »

I have a couple of extra in-bed spare tire carriers if anyone is interested. I don't have the mounting bolts or the carriage bolt to hold the tire but that's no big deal.
offisland

Post by offisland »

91Bear wrote:I have a couple of extra in-bed spare tire carriers if anyone is interested. I don't have the mounting bolts or the carriage bolt to hold the tire but that's no big deal.
OEM? I'd be interested.
91Bear
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 91Bear »

PM me your e-mail and I will send photos.
offisland

Post by offisland »

91Bear wrote:PM me your e-mail and I will send photos.
Does not appear I am able to send private messages, it's hoselton AT hawaii.edu.