Grant Steering wheel and horn brush

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

67mann
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Grant Steering wheel and horn brush

Post by 67mann »

My column is all rebuilt and mounted in place, so I decided to mount my Grant steering wheel and make sure that it was going to(I've had it brand new for years in the box) work. I've looked and looked for diagrams or videos on how to install or get past the problem, I'm having. So in this picture I took, you can see that the horn brush sticks out past my column :?
2021-02-13 13.34.35 (800 x 1067).jpg
I know I can adjust the column up and down but, that still leaves a gap. :doh: So has anyone gone through this :? My Questions are
1. How much contact do you need to the back of Grant's(in the picture it's bottomed out)contact plate?
2. Does grant(All their install kit's look the same)have a deeper cover plate....they don't really give a lot of dimensions with the three bolt...looks like the five bolt come with extensions :? :hmm: good Q for the people at Grant :roll: :lol:
3. Am I missing something :? :help: :doh:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I've had enough and I'm not alone
http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii304/67mann/
cash667

Re: Grant Steering wheel and horn brush

Post by cash667 »

Hi 67mann,
First Question: do you have the correct installation kit for Truck? (PN 3285)

If you have a mustang etc installation kit you might ran into some problems.
I recently installed a Grant wheel on my 68, but I swapped the column to a mustang column and so I didn´t had this problem.
What comes into my mind on your issue:

here is a comparison of a truck column vs mustang column:
Truck

mustang

as you can see, the distance between the bearing seat and the hub seat is different. the distance on the Truck is about 0.2" more than mustang. Second issue: the mustang column is tapered after the hub seat, and I think the grant hub is tapered on the inside too, but I´m not sure about that..

If I remeber correct, there is no specified seating area for the bearing and no snap ring on the truck column, so you should be able to move the column housing inward the cab.
You definitely need the horn brush pressed down a bit to have good contact! Install a horn relay if it isn´t already there to keep current minimal on the horn brushes.

There should be another issue with the turn signal canceling cam mechanism or is it missing? I remenber to pins which are punched into the bottom of the grant hub. They have to reach the canceling cam on the turnsignal switch...

For the cover I think you should contact grant. Even the outside diameter of the cover seems a bit to small for your column.

long story short: I think you should try to move the column housing to eliminate all 3 problems :wink:

Chris
1968 Mercury Cougar 302
1968 Ford F250 Camper Special 429
67mann
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 67mann »

Thx for the reply Chris.... I do have installation kit #3285 and I can slide the column cover up and down but, it will not change the fact that horn brush sticks out past the collar on my truck. The steering column itself was bought of Ebay(years ago)as part of the items needed to switch to power steering. Following Keith's tutorial (also years ago) I rebuilt a shorter steering column but, don't recall changing anything or see how anything could change inside the column bell :dk: And with the canceling.... I've just not put the pins in yet :thup:
67mann
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 67mann »

:hmm: So I just looked at Chris's (cash667) build thread and discovered big differences in the measurements of the sleeve around the turn signal housing. The cougar column that he used, has a measurement of 2 1/2depth, the auto column he replaced has an 1 5/8 depth :? So I had to go and measure mine... 1 5/16 depth :doh: Remember I said I bought mine of ebay yrs ago... and Do not have any of my original columns to compare :roll: :cry: Nor do I have my old steering wheel to look at. My horn brush tube...literally sticks out past that sleeve a 1/4" ... should it :?
cash667

Post by cash667 »

Do you have an auto or manual trans? Power Steering? Converted anything in the steering column area?
Maybe there are some differences at the collar depth between auto and manual column shift collars?
Somebody here with a 3 on tree column to check the collar depth?

I think the horn brush sticking out 1/4" sounds about right to me. But maybe you take it out and try to stretch the spring a little bit (!!) to get contact with the surface on the grant hub. Maybe you can loosen just the two upper column parts and move them a bit upward on the main column housing to gain a little less spacing between hub and collar.

When you have the contact issue solved you just need to find a grant cover that fits :wink:
I have a grant cover left from my build and when I´m back at my little workshop I´ll measure that. I remember it beeing deeper than the one I installed on the truck.

Chris
1968 Mercury Cougar 302
67mann
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 67mann »

[quote="cash667"]Do you have an auto or manual trans? Power Steering?
I've got a 4sp toploader.... Power steering was added per tutorial here.... Parts were bought from a member but, this was all done over 10 yrs ago :roll:

Converted anything in the steering column area? No

Maybe there are some differences at the collar depth between auto and manual column shift collars? :? could be

I think the horn brush sticking out 1/4" sounds about right to me. :clap: ok thanks

When you have the contact issue solved you just need to find a grant cover that fits :wink: Not a problem... I can press that right up against the grant plate. So yes I need a Grant cover that will hide the gap

I have a grant cover left from my build and when I´m back at my little workshop I´ll measure that. I remember it beeing deeper than the one I installed on the truck.

That would be great. Thank you I just measured and it's about an 1 1/4 or better. The one I have is just an inch :thup:
Chris[/quote]
cash667

Post by cash667 »

Sorry for the late reply...
The Grant cover I have on the shelf is 29mm deep (ca 1 1/8“) and has a outside OD of 92mm (ca 3 5/8“)

I think it comes from a 66 Mustang Grant Hub.

If you could use it I would send it to you just for shipping costs, but I think this isn‘t cheap because of international shipping..

Chris
1968 Mercury Cougar 302
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

67mann, I'm confused about that you have. Do you have a column for a Bumpside, or a column for a Cougar?
1968 F-100 4x4 long bed - 360 FE - NP435 w/ Dana 21 - PS & PB conversion - Front Disc Swap - 265/75R16 - 1" S.L. & 2" B.L. (to be removed) - Homemade tube bumpers - Warn 8274 - Currently wearing 1970 body
67mann
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 67mann »

cash667 wrote:Sorry for the late reply...
The Grant cover I have on the shelf is 29mm deep (ca 1 1/8“) and has a outside OD of 92mm (ca 3 5/8“)

I think it comes from a 66 Mustang Grant Hub.

If you could use it I would send it to you just for shipping costs, but I think this isn‘t cheap because of international shipping..

Chris
Thanks Chris but, I'm good for now :thup: ... I'll keep my eyes open while I finish my build and maybe something will turn up

JoshT wrote:67mann, I'm confused about that you have. Do you have a column for a Bumpside, or a column for a Cougar?
As far as I know,(bought it off ebay)my column is a floor shift out of another bump. Chris was comparing the two columns and I believe used a mustang column. This is mine now.... button touches fine but, I still have a gap
2021-02-16 15.13.27 (800 x 1067).jpg
2021-02-16 15.13.36 (800 x 1067).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

That looks about like mine now. The previous pictures made that black cover look a lot smaller than the column. I think you are using the same part number installing kit that I did, so I was wandering if the column might be from something else. I think it was just the angle and gap throwing off my perspective. If you figure out how to close up the remaining gap please post, I wouldn't mind doing the same.
1968 F-100 4x4 long bed - 360 FE - NP435 w/ Dana 21 - PS & PB conversion - Front Disc Swap - 265/75R16 - 1" S.L. & 2" B.L. (to be removed) - Homemade tube bumpers - Warn 8274 - Currently wearing 1970 body
67mann
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 67mann »

:thup: I certainly will Josh. Just found the ebay printout on the Column..... 1967-72 Ford truck CS steering column 36" :hmm: You know, nobody mis labels stuff on ebay :evil: Dated in 2008...so it's been a while since my purchase and I'm lacking in my use of Prevagen :doh: